[comp.sys.mac] Where on SIMTEL?

DREDICK@G.BBN.COM (The Druid) (12/10/87)

>remember that SIMTEL is the place where you can find *EVERYTHING* if you know
>where to look, ... and well organized in
>sub-directories for DAs, Fonts, Utilities, etc .... to boot.

Where on SIMTEL do I find MAC STUFF.  I mean, they got all other types
of computer systems Public Domain Stuff, but I can't find the MAC directory.

                             -- Druid (dredick@bbn.com)

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (12/11/87)

What is the Internet address (of the form A.B.C.D, where A,B,C,and D are integers) for
SIMTEL?

	-Ted

perkins@acf8.UUCP (Mark E. Perkins) (12/13/87)

According to my host tables, the address of simtel20.arpa is "26.0.0.74".
I have not, as yet, had time to figure out where the Mac stuff is,
however.

	Mark Perkins

Internet:  mark@vml.psych.nyu.edu	(that's VEE-EM-ELL)
Usenet:    {seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!vml!mark
US Mail:   Department of Psychology, NYU
	   6 Washington Place, room 970
	   New York, NY 10003
Phone:	   (212) 998-7861

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (12/13/87)

In article <870068@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

> What is the Internet address (of the form A.B.C.D ...) for SIMTEL?

our /etc/hosts says:
26.0.0.74       simtel20.arpa

and the top-level directory contains:

   PD2:<MACINTOSH>
 AIB.DOC.1;P777752         42 105168(7)  23-Apr-87 13:43:34 RTHUM
 FILES.DIR.7;P777752        9 20820(7)   18-Oct-87 23:20:09 RTHUM
 FILES.IDX.7;P777752       23 57844(7)   18-Oct-87 23:23:48 RTHUM
 MACINTOSH.ARC.1;P777752    1 2(8)       18-Oct-87 23:19:55 RTHUM
 MACINTOSH.CRCLST.70507;P777752   1 0(7)  1-Nov-87 22:30:55 RTHUM
 MACINTOSH.UUE.8;P777752    1 42(7)      18-Oct-87 23:20:05 RTHUM

below that there are such subdirectories as:

   PD2:<MACINTOSH.APPL>
   PD2:<MACINTOSH.COMM>
   PD2:<MACINTOSH.DA>
   PD2:<MACINTOSH.DEMO>
   PD2:<MACINTOSH.DOC>
   PD2:<MACINTOSH.ED>
   PD2:<MACINTOSH.FKEY>
....etc

--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu    (prefered address)
kraut@ut-ngp.uucp               (if you must)

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (12/18/87)

>below that there are such subdirectories as:
>
>   PD2:<MACINTOSH.APPL>
>   PD2:<MACINTOSH.COMM>
>   PD2:<MACINTOSH.DA>
>   PD2:<MACINTOSH.DEMO>
>   PD2:<MACINTOSH.DOC>
>   PD2:<MACINTOSH.ED>
>   PD2:<MACINTOSH.FKEY>
>....etc

OK, OK . I'll admit it. I have never been on a TOPS 20 machine in my
life except to use anonymous ftp. How can I list directories?

In other words, how can I fill in the ...etc in the above on any given
machine.

Chris Christensen				Hewlett-Packard
(408) 553-2955 or telnet 553-2955		Design Technology Center
cnc%hpdtcgx@hplabs.hp.com					Santa Clara, CA
...!hplabs!hpcid!cnc

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (kraut) (12/20/87)

In article <870077@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:

> >below that there are such subdirectories as:
> >
> >   PD2:<MACINTOSH.APPL>
> >   PD2:<MACINTOSH.COMM>
> >....etc

> How can I list directories?
> In other words, how can I fill in the ...etc in the above on any given

I assume, that what you are asking is "how can I list THE NAMES of directories"
...and that you are not interested in listing the names of files contained
in the directory (let me take this opportunity to DISCOURAGE people from
listing directories via FTP-connections as they are VERY-VERY slow and
tedious to wait for - and often cannot be interupted ... which is the reason
why SUMEX and SIMTEL have files containing recent complete directory-listings
for you to FTP-GET to your machine and peruse locally ...)

I had asked some DEC20/FTP people around here what commands would list both
files and file-sizes as well as the names of subdirectories and never got
an answer to it.  I guess, if the folks at SIMTEL would use different
protection settings on the subdirectories, one could see them when listing
a directory - but, alas, they haven't done that;  maybe that would compromise
the security somehow ??!!  (Anyway, I had mentioned the problem to SIMTEL some
months ago myself)

Fortunately, there is a way to learn the information you are looking
for:  simply use FTP and GET the 2 files with the index of all the directories.
on your local machine you can then do a search for  "PD2:<"  which will list
all the DIRECTORY-names ....

you could write a little note with your question to POSTMASTER@SIMTEL20.arpa
and, who knows, there may be a way to set up things "right" ...
--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu		(prefered address)
kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu