[comp.sys.mac] The folder that refused to die

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (12/21/87)

I think this question has been posted and answered here before, but I was
snoozing.  I have a folder that cannot be discarded.  When I try to empty
the trash, I get the message: "The trash could not be emptied (a file was
busy or a folder was not empty)."  Choosing "Get Info..." from the finder
shows that the folder contains 0 bytes, but DiskInfo tells me it contains
-1 files.

What gives, and how do I get rid of this puppy?
--
Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/21/87)

In article <3225@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I think this question has been posted and answered here before, but I was
>snoozing.  I have a folder that cannot be discarded.  When I try to empty
>the trash, I get the message: "The trash could not be emptied (a file was
>busy or a folder was not empty)."  Choosing "Get Info..." from the finder
>shows that the folder contains 0 bytes, but DiskInfo tells me it contains
>-1 files.

	I have had the same problem, and it's because the Finder only
closes open working directories when it's launched. This means if you
(for example) use a DA to open a file from some folder, then empty
that folder and try to throw it away, you can't do it, because the
working directory didn't get closed.

>What gives, and how do I get rid of this puppy?

	The workaround is to run some application then quit to the Finder.
You should then be able to remove the empty folder. Alternatively, you
can reboot.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *