[comp.sys.mac] Bug in Mac Word 3.01?

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (12/18/87)

I've noticed a bug in the Macintosh version of Word 3.01, and I'm curious
if anyone has noticed it.  (Ideally, you have a solution as well).  If a
print a document with a table of contents, and ask Word to print the
document back-to-front, it prints only the sections after the table of
contents section -- the table of contents section, and any preceeding
sections, do not print.  If I print the document front-to-back, all
sections print fine.

Clayton E. Cramer
..!hplabs!pyramid!kontron!optilin

gergely@dalcs.UUCP (Peter J Gergely) (12/21/87)

This is a known MS-Word 3.0.1 bug.  The exact bug is that if you print
back to front, the only sections to be printed will be the last
section starting on page 1 to the end of the document.  For example,
if you had a title page, table of contents, Section 3 with first page
on page 1, Section 4 continues, Section 5 continues, the you print
back to front.  Section 3, 4, and 5 would print assuming that Section
4 or 5 did not restart on page 1.  For this reason, I always print
front to back, even though it is much more ackward later.
	- Peter
--
Peter J. Gergely (DREA, P.O. Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS  B2Y 3Z7  Canada)
      ARPANET:  gergely@DREA-XX.ARPA (preferred) or Peter@DREA-GRIFFIN.ARPA

anson@elrond.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (12/22/87)

In article <1832@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>I've noticed a bug in the Macintosh version of Word 3.01, and I'm curious
>if anyone has noticed it.  (Ideally, you have a solution as well).  If a
>print a document with a table of contents, and ask Word to print the
>document back-to-front, it prints only the sections after the table of
>contents section -- the table of contents section, and any preceeding
>sections, do not print.

Yes, I've noticed it.  It's really annoying.

But I've also found a workaround.

In the Print dialog box, instead of letting it print "all" :-) the pages,
explicitly set the range of pages to print.  For this to work, you must
include section numbers as well as page numbers.  The first page of your
document is thus usually "P1 S1".  If you just say "1" this can be ambiguous.
If you drag the scroll bar to the end of the document, the last page number
of the document is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen, and is
generally almost readable.

BTW: This bug is not particular to the table of contents.  It appears any
time you have multiple sections in a document.  It appears to drop the first
two sections (or all but the last?).

Hope this helps.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

planting@colby.WISC.EDU ( W. Harry Plantinga) (12/22/87)

In article <1832@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>I've noticed a bug in the Macintosh version of Word 3.01, and I'm curious
>If you print a document with a table of contents, and ask Word to print the
>document back-to-front, it prints only the sections after the table of
>contents section.

I've noticed this bug.  I print front-to-back.  You could also try specifying
the page numbers you want printed, including section numbers:  in my case,
from 1s1 to 56s3.  That would print from section one, page one to section
three, page 56.

I was bitten by an even stranger bug today.  I set up a paper to print on
the laserwriter and printed part of it to a file.  I then quit, selected
the imagewriter, and tried to print part of the paper.  Every line that
printed had a 0 (zero) on either side of it!

	0It looked something like this.0

The only way I could find to make it stop doing that was to reboot and shift-
repaginate.

Do y'all still find lots of bugs in word 3.01?  I must run across a couple
every week.  Formulas that don't print, keystrokes missed, bombs, . . .

Harry Plantinga
planting@cs.wisc.edu
{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!uwvax!planting