[comp.sys.mac] mathematical laser fonts

jack@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (12/09/87)

What mathematical laser fonts are available?

What I need is:

	- logic and theoretical computer science symbols (like the old Ophir
	  bitmap font, but with the squared-off set theory symbols used in
	  domain theory);

	- symbols for the better known algebraic structures (N, Z, Q, A, R, C)
	  (is there a font that looks like these do as usually printed?);

	- subscripts and superscripts with little enough leading not to
	  sabotage inter-line spacing in programs like WriteNow;

	- maybe some of the more useful German capital letters.
--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs       USENET: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

gae@osupyr.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) (12/16/87)

----- News saved at 15 Dec 87 18:33:22 GMT
In article <1576@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> jack@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:

>What mathematical laser fonts are available?

>What I need is:

>	- logic and theoretical computer science symbols (like the old Ophir
>	  bitmap font, but with the squared-off set theory symbols used in
>	  domain theory);

>	- symbols for the better known algebraic structures (N, Z, Q, A, R, C)
>	  (is there a font that looks like these do as usually printed?);

>	- subscripts and superscripts with little enough leading not to
>	  sabotage inter-line spacing in programs like WriteNow;

>	- maybe some of the more useful German capital letters.

It sounds like you need TeX with the AMSFonts.  All of the things you
mention (and hundreds more) are included.
Of course, the reason is that it is used by the American Mathematical
Society to publish its journals.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.UUCP

In article <1576@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> jack@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:

>What mathematical laser fonts are available?

>What I need is:

>	- logic and theoretical computer science symbols (like the old Ophir
>	  bitmap font, but with the squared-off set theory symbols used in
>	  domain theory);

>	- symbols for the better known algebraic structures (N, Z, Q, A, R, C)
>	  (is there a font that looks like these do as usually printed?);

>	- subscripts and superscripts with little enough leading not to
>	  sabotage inter-line spacing in programs like WriteNow;

>	- maybe some of the more useful German capital letters.

It sounds like you need TeX with the AMSFonts.  All of the things you
mention (and hundreds more) are included.
Of course, the reason is that it is used by the American Mathematical
Society to publish its journals.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.UUCP
  The Ohio State University  ...{akgua,gatech,ihnp4,ulysses}!cbosgd!osupyr!gae
  Columbus, OH 43210                            70715,1324  CompuServe

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/16/87)

I have a related question:  Recently I wasted 5 hours discovering how
to type special "Symbol" font characters.  Specifically, characters
like subset, strict subset, for all, etc. don't show up on the keycaps display
of the keyboard.  Yet they are stored in the mac symbol font.

I finally found a PD program (fontdisplay) that showed me they were
there, and then I had to type the characters in Times Font (using
accents), and then convert the font to Symbol.  I now keep a file of
these symbol characters, since I haven't found an obvious way to type
them with my keyboard.  I have to constantly copy tiny characters from
the file into my document, which is hard.

Is there a better way to do this?

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/18/87)

I believe I am using a very recent version of Keycaps.  I have a Mac
II and I am running the keycaps that came with multifinder.  I know
how to select the symbol font from the keycap menu.  I can also get
*most* of the mathematical characters, such as and, or,
left-facing-subset, left-strict-subset, R(real), TM,
etc.

HOWEVER, Here are a few keys that do not appear.  I guess you must
somehow type them using some kind of accenting, or else there is a bug
in this font file or keycaps: Here is a description of 4 missing
characters (pict is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise)

pict	description			Hex Code
   U|   right-facing subset		CB
   U    right-facing strict subset	CC
  -U-   not-strict subset		CD
   |~   mathematical not character.	D8

Please check your machine; if you find these characters in YOUR
keycaps, then tell me how to type them.  They ARE in your machine, I
just don't think you can easily get to them.

So to the basenote writer: There may be more mathematical characters
in the symbol font THAN IT APPEARS.  My suggestion is to get the "Font
Librarian" public-domain program, get a listing of (a) Times Font, and
(b) Symbol Font.  Then type ALL 255 Times Font characters using accent
marks (see mac manual for how to type accented characters) into a
file.  Or if you know a better way to store all 255 codes in a text
file, use it.  Then convert the character codes into Symbol Font.  You
will find characters you never knew you had!

This is awfully non-WYSWYG, if you ask me.  Someone suggested I use
the MS-Word glossary to get these characters more easily -- good
suggestion.  But you have to find them first!

gae@osupyr.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) (12/19/87)

In article <76000081@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>HOWEVER, Here are a few keys that do not appear.  I guess you must
>somehow type them using some kind of accenting, or else there is a bug
>in this font file or keycaps: Here is a description of 4 missing
>characters (pict is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise)
>
>pict	description			Hex Code
>   U|   right-facing subset		CB
>   U    right-facing strict subset	CC
>  -U-   not-strict subset		CD
>   |~   mathematical not character.	D8

The following are supposed to work:
  hex CB     option-` shift-A
  hex CC     option-n shift-A
  hex CD     option-n shift-O
  hex D8     option-u y

HOWEVER, I recall that Apple left out by mistake two such combinations
from the new System.  SO if it doesn't work, use an old System, or else
wait for a new system.
--

syap@ur-tut.UUCP (James Fitzwilliam) (12/22/87)

In article <76000081@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>This is awfully non-WYSWYG, if you ask me.  Someone suggested I use
>the MS-Word glossary to get these characters more easily -- good
>suggestion.  But you have to find them first!
>
>Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
>            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

If you have MS Word, you can also use cmd-opt-Q, which lets you
TYPE IN an ascii code and generate that character. Just do this for
all the values and you'll have it. This is also handy if you're typing
an explanation of some Mac feature; just ask for ASCII 17 in Chicago
(the cloverleaf character).

Another handy feature in this vein is cmd-shift-Q, which makes the
next char you type Symbol font, then changes back to the current
font so you can resume typing.

Good luck.
						James
arpa: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu