[comp.sys.mac] System Design tools needed!

jh@cup.portal.com (12/21/87)

Information needed!!!

I am interested in hearing about any packages available
for Systems Analysis, Design, Development and Documentation
which might run on a Mac II.  (This may be my chance to
finally get a Mac on my desk at work in an IBM environment,
so please answer if you have helpful information.)

Our agency is currently time-sharing with other state agencies
on an IBM 3081 mainframe with remote 3270 terminals and
misc. printers.  Applications are written in a combination of
Cobol II, CICS, Easytrieve and Natural (just being implemented).
Files are sequential tape, ISAM, VSAM or Software AG's Adabas.
We are looking for productivity tools to eliminate the manual
effort in analyzing application requirements, designing and
developing systems, and automating the technical and operational
documentation.

The ideal package (or combination of packages) would support
the following features, which have been requested by our
data processing management planning committee:

      *Project management system
      *Flexible system development methodology
      *System Analysis Expert System
      *System Design Expert System
      *CASE/Prototyping capabilities
      *System structure charts
      *System Component Tracking
      *Graphic data flow diagrams
      *Warnier diagrams
      *Data base design aids
      *Data dictionary
      *Forms creation
      *Automatic documentation generator

Needless to say, other items on their wish list include
word processing, desk top publishing and free-form graphics.

I am most interested in hearing from other data processing
shops where these tools may be already in use.

Replies should be directed to one of the following addresses
(I will summarize to the UUCP Net, GEnie and EchoMac):

GEnie:        JHENSLEY
EchoMac:      Jenet Hensley   (thru BMUG BBS   415/ 849-2684)
UUCP:         jh@cup.portal.com
   or         sun!cup.portal.com!jh
   or         sun.com!cup.portal.com!jh
   or         sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jh
   or         (whatever else will work -- the 'sun' site can be
               reached thru the following major UUCP sites:
               ucbvax, decwrl, decvax, seismo, hplabs )
US Mail:      PO Box 10964, Reno, NV  89510

Thanks for your help!

Jenet Hensley

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (12/22/87)

In article <2074@cup.portal.com> jh@cup.portal.com writes:
>Information needed!!!
>The ideal package (or combination of packages) would support
>the following features, which have been requested by our
>data processing management planning committee:
>
>      *Project management system
>      *Flexible system development methodology
>      *System Analysis Expert System
>      *System Design Expert System
>      *CASE/Prototyping capabilities
>      *System structure charts
>      *System Component Tracking
>      *Graphic data flow diagrams
>      *Warnier diagrams
>      *Data base design aids
>      *Data dictionary
>      *Forms creation
>      *Automatic documentation generator
>
>Needless to say, other items on their wish list include
>word processing, desk top publishing and free-form graphics.
>
>I am most interested in hearing from other data processing
>shops where these tools may be already in use.

Well, I'm glad to see that people are starting to ask for these things on
a Macintosh.  What you are asking for is hardly in the data processing line -
you are asking for a full blown CASE system.

All these things are required by the classical software engineering life
cycle.  To date, I have not seen a package on ANY machine that addresses
all these issues.  However, in my opinion, the Macintosh comes as close
to having all these items available even though they are not fully integrate
(there is partial integration offered by the Clipboard, but it is not
enough).  Also, even the Mac doesn't offer ADG (auto doc gen) or data flow->
data dictionary generation since those two features require full integration.
Lastly, full integration will provide feasibility cross-checking and
consistency checkers.

The closest packages I've seen live on Suns or Symbolics.  I really hope
someone comes out with one for the Mac II.  God knows I don't want to
write it. :^)

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (ARPANET:  hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program       UUCP:     desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp)
General Electric Corporate Research and Development
"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"    -- Kirk  (STIII)

wolynes@ihuxz.ATT.COM (g p wolynes) (12/22/87)

In article <2074@cup.portal.com>, jh@cup.portal.com writes:
> Information needed!!!
>
> I am interested in hearing about any packages available
> for Systems Analysis, Design, Development and Documentation
> which might run on a Mac II.  (This may be my chance to
> finally get a Mac on my desk at work in an IBM environment,
> so please answer if you have helpful information.)
>
> The ideal package (or combination of packages) would support
> the following features, which have been requested by our
> data processing management planning committee:
>
>       *Project management system
>       *Flexible system development methodology
>       *System Analysis Expert System
>       *System Design Expert System
>       *CASE/Prototyping capabilities
>       *System structure charts
>       *System Component Tracking
>       *Graphic data flow diagrams
>       *Warnier diagrams
>       *Data base design aids
>       *Data dictionary
>       *Forms creation
>       *Automatic documentation generator

I too am interested in structure analysis tools such as PowerTools from
ICONIX or Anatools from Advanced Logical Software. They look good on paper,
but at $4000 a copy (for PowerTools) I need a little more information. I'm
especially interested in any experience in the use of these tools and any
weaknesses that you might see it their operation (i.e. include any personal
opinions as to the value of the tool).

Also my boss would like to know if the tool is available for (-; I can't believe
I'm saying it :-) an AT&T (IBM) compatible computer.

Please email any replies to:
UUCP ihnp4!ihuxz!wolynes
Gregory Wolynes ihnp4!ihuxz!wolynes AT&T Bell Labs Naperville 312-979-1729