[comp.sys.mac] Apple Personal Modem won't respond, sometimes

P.PRIAPUS@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Lipa) (12/22/87)

I've got an Apple Personal Modem 1200 and MacTerminal 2.2. Occasionally (about
10 percent of the time) when I try to dial a number, the modem does nothing
and MacTerminal eventually reports that no modem is connected to the computer.
Unplugging the modem and plugging it back in makes it work again. Does anyone
else have this problem or is it just me? It's awfully inconvenient to have to
scramble around under my desk disconnecting the modem, so I'd appreciate a fix
if anyone has one.

Bill Lipa

Bitnet: p.priapus%macbeth@forsythe.stanford.edu
-------

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (Jeff T. Segawa) (12/23/87)

In article <12360345173.301.P.PRIAPUS@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU> P.PRIAPUS@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Lipa) writes:
>I've got an Apple Personal Modem 1200 and MacTerminal 2.2. Occasionally (about
>10 percent of the time) when I try to dial a number, the modem does nothing
>and MacTerminal eventually reports that no modem is connected to the computer.

I don't know if this helps, but I used to have a personal modem that used to
act up from time to time, and sometimes when I plugged it in, I wouldn't even
get the  "OK" beep. I opened it up and discovered that one of the connectors
that joins the two circuit boards seemed to be slightly oxidized. After a good
cleaning and reassembly, it worked without a hitch.