[comp.sys.mac] Upgrading MAC II video cards

gnome@oliveb.olivetti.com (Gary) (12/25/87)

What's involved in upgrading a "stock" video controller
card with more memory and having the system recognize it.
I have a B/W Mac II with (I think) a max grey-scale of 16.

The RAM chips are standard, but I was wondering what else
needed to be altered (if anything).

Gary
(hplabs,amdahl,sun)oliveb!oliven!gnome

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (Jeff T. Segawa) (12/26/87)

In article <11524@oliveb.olivetti.com> gnome@oliveb.olivetti.com (Gary) writes:
>What's involved in upgrading a "stock" video controller
>card with more memory and having the system recognize it.
>I have a B/W Mac II with (I think) a max grey-scale of 16.

The only thing to be careful about is that the video rams and some of the
parts used on the video board itself are supposed to be static sensitive.
Other than that, expanding RAM really is as simple as just plugging in 8
41264-12 or 41264-15 chips into the empty sockets. No software to configure,
no jumpers to reset, no switches to move.