[comp.sys.mac] Convert 800k external to Mac II

hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (12/24/87)

Hello,

   I have an old Mac Plus 800k external Apple drive and was wondering if it
can be modified to use as a Mac II internal (left) drive.  I know the internal
housing holding the SONY drive is not a match and will require some work to
make it fit, but if I plug it in to the Mac II, all disk popped in get a
'Disk unreadable, initialize?' message.  If I say EJECT, it does.  If I say
to initialize, I hear the drive do 1 I/O (low sounding THUNK) and then get an
'Initialization Failed!' message and the disk ejects.

Obviously, the drive is seen by the Mac II and works partially,  what has to
be done to make it work correctly?? Any ideas??

Phil Hunt

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (12/25/87)

hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:

>   I have an old Mac Plus 800k external Apple drive and was wondering if it
>can be modified to use as a Mac II internal (left) drive.
>[...story about how it doesn't work...]
>Obviously, the drive is seen by the Mac II and works partially,  what has to
>be done to make it work correctly?? Any ideas??

Phil, I tried and failed.  It seems there is a subtle but
significant difference between the "old" Mac Plus-era 800k
drives and the newer ones which are sold with the IIGS and
SE as an external... the ones with the eject button.  If
you examine Sony's part number on the side of the drive,
you'll see it's a different drive.  Someone told me that
the older drives will work inside an SE, and I tried doing
that, but it didn't work there either.  That's a real puzzle
since it does work on the SE as an external.  I ended up
swapping with a friend who had a newer external.  As for the
bracket, I'd try getting an actual bracket, which is the same
as the one for the SE.

Good luck, and let us know if you come up with any other
results.

--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe   POBox 10019 Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "If we're not listening, we'd have to be pretty blind." J-L Gassee
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (12/28/87)

Hmmm... In my experience, there are two different cables for 800k drive, one
with a RED stripe, and one with a YELLOW stripe... If you use a cable with a
RED stripe, you might run into problems. To convert a RED stripe to a YELLOW
stripe, simply cut wires #9 and #20.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!maddie
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil
INET: maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM

Disclaimer: I think for myself, and (that being a large task in itself) please             refrain from asuming that my opinions represent what any poor
           fool or large company might believe, because if they think like I do,
           then they need serious psyciatric care... or they need to meet me.