[comp.sys.mac] MegaMax C

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <8704071446.AA00584@jade.berkeley.edu>, LOGANJ@BYUVAX.BITNET writes:
> Megamax claims to have a new version (3.0d) of their C compiler that is
> compatible with the Mac SE and Mac II.

> I was
> told that the old version will not work with the new operating systems
> because Apple has changed the conventions of some of the system globals
> that Megamax was using.

From the report of the problem posted to this net, this is at best
half truth, and certainly deceptive.

Megamax stole a low memory global for its own purposes.  Apple says
'any bit or byte or long that we don't document we reserve for future
use.'  Therefore Megamax broke the rules.

I get annoyed at people who write needless incompatibilities due to
laziness or an inability to follow directions.  I don't have much
respect for companies that attempt finger pointing rather than tell the
whole truth.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

DREDICK@G.BBN.COM (The Druid) (12/30/87)

  Just off Hand, Does anyone Know if the Megamax C Compiler is still
  around and supported.

  In the "old days", the displayed advertisments in MacTutor, but alas
  no more.

  The Last Update I have is version 3.00

  I have no support for Hypercard or Multifinder in this Compiler.

  So.. Does this company still exists... and What are the up to?!?

  --- The Druid (dredick@bbn.com)

  "Did you ever feel like a typewriter, when everyone else is a
   wordprocessor"

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (12/31/87)

In article <12362374532025@G.BBN.COM>, DREDICK@G.BBN.COM (The Druid) writes:

>   Just off Hand, Does anyone Know if the Megamax C Compiler is still
>   around and supported.
Yes, they still are around and the compiler is supported.  I've just finished
a compiler comparison article for Macintosh Today and it is one of the five
C compilers covered.

>   In the "old days", the displayed advertisments in MacTutor, but alas
>   no more.
>
>   The Last Update I have is version 3.00
You have the latest version.

>   I have no support for Hypercard or Multifinder in this Compiler.
>
>   So.. Does this company still exists... and What are the up to?!?

The company still exists and is supporting their product; however, I do not
believe that the Macintosh market is their current area of interest as they are
involved with products for other 68000 based processors.  The fact that they
are still supporting their product after essentially being squeezed out of the
market by Think, Manx, and APDA products says more in favor of them than can
be said for other companies who couldn't hack the competition.  I like their
consideration for their customers (other than the fact that you need to contact
them rather than the other way around) and it is the only C compiler that wasn't
painful on a floppy-only system.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed above are my own and I reserve all rights
to them (unless someone else wants them).