[comp.sys.mac] ARC for the Mac?

cl1x+@andrew.cmu.edu (C. Kenny Lin) (12/07/87)

After being in danger of using up my disk storage allocaton (primarily
because of downloading from the binaries), I resorted to drastic measures.
No, I did not delete the file.  Rather, I used an utility commonly used in
the IBM-PC (god forbid?) and UNIX part of town:  ARC.  For those unfamiliar
with ARC, it is a file archiving program that is slightly less user-friendly
than those you know (stuffit, packit, etc).  To make a long story short, I
ARCed a 287K .hqx file from comp.binaries.mac.  The resulting file is but a
measly 193K archive.  Needless to say, it made a significant difference, 33%
reduction in this case

It all boils down to this:  is there a port of ARC for the Mac?  Does anyone
intend to do one?  Wouldn't it be kinda neat?

I could see several advantages to having an ARC for the Mac:
	Ease of file transfer between Unix, IBM-PC, and the Mac.
	Reduced storage requirements (obvious).
	Reduced downloading time.
	Conformation to (somewhat of a) standard.

Sorry if I add more confusion to formats.

---Ken

Arpa:  cl1x@andrew

Disclaimer:  I see nothing.  I hear nothing.

swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/07/87)

cl1x+@andrew.cmu.edu(Ken) writes in comp.sys.mac

>It all boils down to this:  is there a port of ARC for the Mac?  Does anyone
>intend to do one?  Wouldn't it be kinda neat?

	There is a public domain application called MacArc (version .03, I
believe).  This is ONLY an UnARCer, it does not create ARC files, but does
do a very good job of unARCing files from IBM's or UNIX machines.
	The author is no longer working on this application, but last I had
heard he had given the code to someone else and so it was being continued, but
don't hold me to that!!

+                                   |                                      +
+  Leonard Rosenthol                |  USnail:   205 E. Healey  #33        +
+  Halevai Software                 |            Champaign, Il  61820      +
+  GEnie: MACgician                 |                                      +
+  ARPA:  swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu |  Bitnet:   3FLOSDQ@UIUCNOSA.BITNET   +
+                                   |                                      +
+ Disclaimer #1: Since I own the company, I can say whatever I want, and   +
+                not be responsible for it!                                +
+                                                                          +
+ Disclaimer #2: Anything I say may be construed as being under the        +
+                jurisdiction of Disclaimer #1                             +

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (12/08/87)

Yes I believe there is a MACarc out, done by leo laporte of Fidonet fame. No
I don't have it, but if you do have access to a fidonet node check there.

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/02/88)

swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu wrote:

> cl1x+@andrew.cmu.edu(Ken) writes in comp.sys.mac
>
> >It all boils down to this:  is there a port of ARC for the Mac?  Does anyone
> >intend to do one?  Wouldn't it be kinda neat?
>
> 	There is a public domain application called MacArc (version .03, I
> believe).  This is ONLY an UnARCer, it does not create ARC files, but does
> do a very good job of unARCing files from IBM's or UNIX machines.
> 	The author is no longer working on this application, but last I had
> heard he had given the code to someone else and so it was being continued, but
> don't hold me to that!!

   The author's name is Leo Laporte.  He can be reached via
   FidoNet at 125/2.  The phone number for his board is (415)
   661-7374.

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |