[comp.sys.mac] Large Fonts

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (01/04/88)

Does anybody happen to have any very LARGE Macintosh fonts?  I'm looking
for something larger than 24 point that is fully formed (that is--not just
a pixel-replicated version of a smaller font).  A 48 point font would
be very useful...bigger ones would be better still.  Really fancy or weird
fonts (like old-english) would not be usable.  The ideal fonts would be
very large versions of Geneva, Times, Schoolbook or Helvetica.

A related question...can the fonts in the laserwriter be read back out to
the Macintosh?  If that is possible I could scale the outline fonts and
create special fonts in any size I need.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (01/04/88)

In a recent article Greg Corson writes:
>A related question...can the fonts in the laserwriter be read back out to
>the Macintosh?  If that is possible I could scale the outline fonts and
>create special fonts in any size I need.

The implementation of Postscript in the Apple Laserwriter does not include
a function which reads pixels off the page.  I believe some
other implementations do include this function.  If it did, you could just
image the characters you want and read the bitmaps out.  It is possible
to write such a function using assembly language and a very good understanding
of the internals of the Laserwriter (the person who writes Apple's smoothing
algorithm for the LW could almost certainly do this).  I am not such a person.

The spline data which defines the postscript fonts in the LW is encrypted, and
therefore cannot be easily retrieved (also, the fonts consist of procedures
which adjust the parameters for various point sizes, so the "font data" really
has to be executed by a Postscript interpreter).

So, in summary, direct access of the LW fonts in any form is rather difficult.

-Eric

                      (defun maybe (x) (maybe (not x)))
Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (01/05/88)

There are some large New York and Beverley Hills fonts.  Up to 72 point,
I think.  They should be on SUMEX and probably on Genie.  If you can't
find them, let me know and I'll mail you one (tell me which you want).

jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) (01/05/88)

In article <594@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>Does anybody happen to have any very LARGE Macintosh fonts?  I'm looking
>for something larger than 24 point that is fully formed (that is--not just

I understand from a friend who just got one of the new wide-carriage
near-LQ Imagewriters that it is being shipped with large mac fonts
which enable it to produce beautiful characters in "Best" mode.  Apparently,
you need the triple size in your system to get this.  I.e., when using 24
point Geneva, you must have 72 point in your system.  I hear these fonts
are **BIG**, and can cause problems for folks using 800K startup disks.

Anyway, this printer heralds the arrival of the big fonts.

--
uiucuxc!tikal!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP