[comp.sys.mac] Posting Error Craziness

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (12/24/87)

Okay, I confess I am stumped. Can anyone out there offer
an explanation of why GifferV0.96, a 248K+ program, made it
through the byte-eating Gods unscathed while numerous other
things, like the Hypercard cross reference doc, VisEff, and
the Stuffit 1.2 docs came through garbled?

The tech notes I expect to have garbled - the name problem has
been known for some time.

I hate to propose yet another file transfer scheme, but has anyone
out there enhanced something like xbin to give informative
diagnostics about the precise location of the error, or has
anyone given thought to a more robust binhex mechanism?

Jon Shapiro
AT&T Information Systems
Summit, N.J.

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (12/25/87)

Seems I spoke way too soon about giffer. Here's what happened:
I dropped the parts on my UNIX box, edited out the commentary,
and ran it through xbin. xbin claims no errors, and I get
out the .info, .data, and .rsrc parts as expected... When I upload
this file to the macintosh, using macput and Macterminal 1.1
file transfer, the upload happens with no errors. Unfortunately,
the Mac II believes that this is a MacWrite file, not a .pit file.

Does anyone have any gueses as to why this might be and what I can
do about it? I plan to try:

	Uploading the hex and going through BinHex4.0 if I
		can find it
	Rebuilding the desktop.

The sad thing is that the silly program looks legitemate, but
further examination reveals that the resource fork is empty,
and the data fork has the only valid data. Is this a Macterminal
bug? Does MacTerminal assume that a file with no resource fork
is a text file?

	I will also try to simply *set* the file owner and type
	to what I know they should be.

Any and all help would be appreciated. I really want to take a
look at this stuff. Has *anyone* gotten this to download correctly?

Jon Shapiro
AT&T Information Systems
Summit, N.J.

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (12/25/87)

Well, I uploaded the hex file as a text file and ran it through
BinHex 4.0. That worked finr, so I suppose the moral of the story
is that xbin is not as reliable as I thought.

Jon

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (01/05/88)

In article <2530@sfsup.UUCP>, shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) writes:
> Okay, I confess I am stumped. Can anyone out there offer
> an explanation of why GifferV0.96, a 248K+ program, made it
> through the byte-eating Gods unscathed while numerous other
> things, like the Hypercard cross reference doc, VisEff, and
> the Stuffit 1.2 docs came through garbled?

If it makes you any happier, Giffer part 5 got garbled here.  :-) :-)
Anyway, if anyone has a good copy of it, can you send it to me?

Thanks.

Alan Takahashi  *at*  ...!{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax,ames}!bnrmtv!takahashi

#All standard disclaimers apply#

"When all else fails, try the boss's suggestion." -- Strano's Law