[comp.sys.mac] Mac II & Sony XBR

perl@ptsfa.UUCP (R. Perlman) (12/14/87)

Does anyone out there know if a Sony XBR TV/monitor can be used
with a Mac II.  I would plan to use the Sony's RGB port.  Is
there a Mac II video card that supports this monitor, what is the
scan rate (bandwidth) of the XBR, or what am I missing in my
thinking?   Suggestions, answers, or more good questions that need
to be answered, please.

--
"there's no success like failure and failure's no success at all" Bob Dylan

Richard Perlman  1E300 2600 Camino Ramon, San Ramon, CA 94583  (415) 823-1398
uucp {ames,pyramid,ihnp4,lll-crg,dual}!ptsfa!perl   ||   ceo rdperlman:8

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (12/17/87)

In a recent article R. Perlman writes:
>Does anyone out there know if a Sony XBR TV/monitor can be used
>with a Mac II.  I would plan to use the Sony's RGB port.  Is
>there a Mac II video card that supports this monitor, what is the
>scan rate (bandwidth) of the XBR, or what am I missing in my
>thinking?   Suggestions, answers, or more good questions that need
>to be answered, please.

Well, I've asked this before, but it never showed up, so:

Where is this magic cdev or INIT that makes the Mac II Video NTSC
compatible?  I know it exists somewhere (because I can think of it :-).
Also, what cable do I use once the Mac II is generating NTSC Composite Color?

I have the Rascal program that changes the Mac II to NTSC (and, from that,
could presumably synthesize the cdev or INIT-- but someone's already done
that!).  My big question remains, "What cable do I use?"

-Eric

                                 I am not affiliated.
Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

chris@acrux.usc.edu (Christopher Ho) (01/05/88)

In article <3571@husc6.harvard.edu> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric K. Olson) writes:
>  My big question remains, "What cable do I use?"

Here is a list from my notes when I made the cable for my Sony MultiScan:
	red	2
	blue	9
	green	12
	gnd	1
	csync	3

These are, of course, pins on the DB 15 connector.  If I remember correctly,
the sync signal is also present on the green line, and some monitors like
to sync onto that.

BTW: I was never able to get the code working to set NTSC mode.  Perhaps it
     was because I have only 4 bitplanes?  Has anyone had better success?

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (01/05/88)

In a recent article Christopher Ho writes:
>BTW: I was never able to get the code working to set NTSC mode.  Perhaps it
>     was because I have only 4 bitplanes?  Has anyone had better success?

Indeed, the posted code only works when the monitor is set to 8 bit.

Anybody know where the info on what those codes all mean is?

-Eric
                      (defun maybe (x) (maybe (not x)))