[comp.sys.mac] FKEY's and Suitcase

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (01/04/88)

I've just received Suitcase in the mail (bless MacConnection
Airborne!) and I have a question regarding their description of FKEYs.
The manual makes reference to having FKEYs in suitcase files.  Can
this be done via Fkey Manager?  Also, assuming that it can be, should
the suitcase file be void of any DAs or fonts?

Thanks,

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (ARPANET:  hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program       UUCP:     desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp)
General Electric Corporate Research and Development
"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"    -- Kirk  (STIII)

dmoore@crash.cts.com (David Moore) (01/05/88)

In article <8344@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Hallett) states:

>---

The manual makes reference to having FKEYs in suitcase files.  Can
this be done via Fkey Manager?  Also, assuming that it can be, should
the suitcase file be void of any DAs or fonts?\
>---

   The Fkey Manager should work to install the FKEYs (I usually just us ResEd)
and you may keep fonts and DAs in the file with the FKEYs...

     David Moore
--

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!dmoore
ARPA: crash!dmoore@nosc.mil

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."
        -- A. Einstein

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (01/06/88)

In article <8344@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Hallett) writes:

>I've just received Suitcase in the mail (bless MacConnection
>Airborne!) and I have a question regarding their description of FKEYs.
>The manual makes reference to having FKEYs in suitcase files.  Can
>this be done via Fkey Manager?  Also, assuming that it can be, should
>the suitcase file be void of any DAs or fonts?

Fkey Manager can make its own suitcase file which can be packed with
Fkeys.  Just open a "new" file from the menu, and copy into it
whatever fkeys you want loaded by suitcase.  Save the file into a
folder called "fkeys" in your system folder.  The Fkey suitcase icon
looks like a little trunk with keys on it.  I don't think it is
possible to mix DAs, Fonts, and Fkeys, and don't know why you would
want to.  Keep the DAs and Fonts (made by DA/Font mover) in their own folders.

shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (01/08/88)

In article <902@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>folder called "fkeys" in your system folder.  The Fkey suitcase icon
>looks like a little trunk with keys on it.  I don't think it is
>possible to mix DAs, Fonts, and Fkeys, and don't know why you would
>want to.  Keep the DAs and Fonts (made by DA/Font mover) in their own folders.

Suitcase can also open sound files, since it is customizable.  (Check the doc
for details.)  You can put any types of resources into a Suitcase type file
that you want to.  It holds the open resource files below the System resource
file.  That is all it does (well, not all...).

Shane Looker                       |  "He's dead Jim,
shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu            |     you grab his tricorder,
uunet!umix!pepe.cc.umich.edu!shane |     I'll get his wallet."
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu