[comp.sys.mac] Mac questions

rcb@rti.UUCP (Randy Buckland) (01/04/88)

I have questions about the PMMu for the MAC II.

	1. Where is the socket for it on the motherboard?
	2. I understand that it does not come on a standard MAC II. Is there
		something that occupies the slot it should be in?
	3. I have a MAC II with no empty sockets and a strange history. Is
		there a way I can tell if I have it installed? What does
		it look like? What are the numbers on it?

An unrelated question.

	Anybody have any idea when LightSpeed Pascal will work under
	multifinder?

--
					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103
					Research Triangle Institute

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (Jeff T. Segawa) (01/07/88)

In article <1953@rti.UUCP> rcb@rti.UUCP (Randy Buckland) writes:

>	1. Where is the socket for it on the motherboard?
The PMMU chip is located near the 68020 microprocessor.
>	2. I understand that it does not come on a standard MAC II. Is there
>		something that occupies the slot it should
 be in?
Yes, there is a custom chip in the PMMU socket that is supposed to be a
simple memory management unit. It comes standard on all II's.
>	3. I have a MAC II with no empty sockets and a strange history. Is
>		there a way I can tell if I have it installed? What does
>		it look like? What are the numbers on it?
I don't have the PMMU chip, but it ought to look very similar to the
MC68820 chip it sits near--that is, it is a black ceramic square
measuring about 3cm * 3cm. It may or may not have a gold colored metal
plate on the top. The markings should probably say something like:
"Motorola MC68851RC16".

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (01/07/88)

In article <1953@rti.UUCP> rcb@rti.UUCP (Randy Buckland) writes:
>I have questions about the PMMu for the MAC II.
>
>	1. Where is the socket for it on the motherboard?

I don't have my Mac II here, so I try this from memory.  There are three
large (1" by 1") ICs placed on the center of the board.  You may have to
remove the drive bracket to see them.  One is the 68020, the second is
the 68881 and the third is the 68581.  The chips all are numbered.  If
you do not have the 68581 (PMU), it is replaced with an Apple chip that
provides a standard mapping (details in Macintosh Hardware Reference Manual
available in Beta form from APDA).  In my machine, the 68020 and the '881
are black with a gold cover, the Apple chip is all black.

>					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103

Jerry Whitnell				Lizzi Borden took an axe
Communication Solutions, Inc.		And plunged it deep into the VAX;
					Don't you envy people who
					Do all the things You want to do?

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Darrell LeBlanc) (01/08/88)

In article <1953@rti.UUCP> rcb@rti.UUCP (Randy Buckland) writes:
>An unrelated question.
>
>	Anybody have any idea when LightSpeed Pascal will work under
>	multifinder?
>
>--
>					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103
>					Research Triangle Institute
>					rcb@rti.rti.org [128.109.139.2]
>					{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!rti!rcb

The Lightspeed Pascal environment will see a new version sometime in late
spring. It will be this version that will work under Multifinder. Nothing
new until then... sorry.

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies).

* Darrell LeBlanc   | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *