[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft Flight Simulator question

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (01/07/88)

I'm thinking of buying Microsoft's Flight Simulator, but before I do
I just wanted to make sure that I was able to make backup copies of
it (it's copy-protected) using Copy II Mac.  Has anyone tried this?
Did it work?  What version of Copy II Mac did you use?  (I think I
have v.6.0 or so).  Thanks!

	-Ted

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (01/08/88)

In article <870093@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>I'm thinking of buying Microsoft's Flight Simulator, but before I do
>I just wanted to make sure that I was able to make backup copies of
>it (it's copy-protected) using Copy II Mac.  Has anyone tried this?
>Did it work?  What version of Copy II Mac did you use?  (I think I
>have v.6.0 or so).  Thanks!
>
>	-Ted

I had no trouble backing up my FlightSim disk with a much older version
of Copy II Mac (4.?) (it's a long time ago).  Before you buy FlightSim,
however, you should be aware that it suffers from the following brain
damage:
	Won't run on Mac II.
	Won't run on 3rd party screen.
	All text (including menu bar and dialogs) is in a
	microscopic, all-caps font.
	Saved situations go in a fixed-name file (i.e., doesn't
	use standard file dialogs).

The implementors actually made very good use of the mouse and the
monochrome screen.  They just didn't bother to make a real Mac
program.  In fairness, I suspect that much of the brain damage was
inflicted to make the program run in 128K, a business decision that
was probably made by MicroSoft management and not the authors.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214