[comp.sys.mac] new TextEdit

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (01/07/88)

anyone know the most current status of a new TextEdit
from Apple. i believe this one will allow style changes
within a block, and fix some other problems.

what will it really do, and when will it be available?

-alan@metasoft.uucp		[uunet!metasoft!alan]

ewing@yale.UUCP (ken ewing) (01/08/88)

Expires:

In article <327@metasoft.UUCP> alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:
>anyone know the most current status of a new TextEdit

I don't, and want to -- please send me any info too.

    ewing@yale-celray.UUCP      -or-        ewing@yale.cs.edu

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (01/09/88)

In article <327@metasoft.UUCP> alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:
>anyone know the most current status of a new TextEdit
>from Apple. i believe this one will allow style changes
>within a block, and fix some other problems.

>what will it really do, and when will it be available?

You've already got it, and you've had it for at least 6 months.
Ever since System 4.1, new text edit has been in the system. It allows
multiple fonts, sizes, styles, and if you have color quickdraw, colors.
Like in any true word processor, each character can have different
attributes.  It also supports multiple "scripts" like arabic (right to
left text insertion, letters get longer to justify text) and Japanese
(every pair of bytes denotes one character from a giant font, with more
than 6000 ideograms.)  Like any font, these can be intermixed with
ordinary text.

Apple published a tech note on writing programs to use it.  I've packaged
up the whole thing with undo, scroll bars, and style sensitive search and
replace (search for the word "fooobar" in any font, but only match if the
style is "underline" and replace it with "sam" in italics.)

My "congressWriter": a specialized word processor + database, that makes
it easy to write your congressman, is based on it.

--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu