[comp.sys.mac] MSDOS Capabilities Of Mac II?

sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Samuel P. Moore) (01/07/88)

The Mac II is suppose to have a 286 co-processor board isn't it? Or
some way of running MSDOS, PC programs.

I have a friend that would like to know about the Mac II's MSDOS
capability. He is in the market for a home micro and is split
between a Mac for his son and a PC for him.

Any info on the subject is appreciated. Please em ail to him:

    Marty Withrow
    OCLC
    sppy00!mjw@ohio-state.edu

He can't post to the net - company rules.

Sam

graefe@tramp.Colorado.EDU (William S. Graefe) (01/09/88)

My mailer bounced big time.  If someone could tell me what I did wrong,
I won't have the same problem again.  Thanks.

In article <1360@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> you're friend writes:
=
=The Mac II is suppose to have a 286 co-processor board isn't it? Or
=some way of running MSDOS, PC programs.

Yes, there is(at least one)  It's called Mac286 and I believe it is made by
AST.  It plugs into the Mac II and allows concurrent processing.  MS-DOS is
placed in a window inside the mac environment.  This allows you to access both
operating systems at the same time for fast transfers.  The card has a port for
a disk drive to add MSDOS capability for the Mac.

If the II is too expensive, there is a card made by the same company that plugs
into the Mac SE.  It's called Mac86.  (The numbers reflect the processor)
I can't remember how it works, but it does.

There is yet another option available: a much cheaper SCSI drive combo.  It
allows writing to 5 1/4 or 3 1/2 inch MSDOS/PS/2 drives or both, depending on
which combo you get.  With this setup you can convert files into Mac readable,
& vice versa, files.  Any manipulation of the files must be done with a Mac
program.

=I have a friend that would like to know about the Mac II's MSDOS
=capability. He is in the market for a home micro and is split
=between a Mac for his son and a PC for him.

Now you can have both.  I prefer the mac for it's speeding up of drudgery.
I can't stand having to specify all those pathnames.  It also is widely
advertised for its short learning curve.
However, if you like MS-DOS, that's great, too.  Hth (hope that helps)

!---------graefe@tramp.Colorado.EDU----graefe@tramp.UUCP---!   ,---.     !
! Bill       |(insert something terribly witty, humorous, )!   | _   _   !
! GraeFe, Jr.|(and inspiring in this space:               )!   `-+-' |   !
!---------{sunybcs, hao,nbires}!boulder!tramp!graefe-------!     `---'   !

fink@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Paul Fink) (01/10/88)

In article <3753@sigi.Colorado.EDU> graefe@tramp.Colorado.EDU (William S. Graefe) writes:

>=I have a friend that would like to know about the Mac II's MSDOS
>=capability. He is in the market for a home micro and is split
>=between a Mac for his son and a PC for him.

	Lucky son!

	Not too bright of a dad!