[comp.sys.mac] Red Ryder 10.3 Download Quirks

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (12/31/87)

Has anyone noticed that RR 10.3 downloads FASTER in the background than in the
foreground, under MultiFinder?

Jason Haines

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-2-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@uunet.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

pollock@usfvax2.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) (01/05/88)

In article <1294@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz writes:

>Has anyone noticed that RR 10.3 downloads FASTER in the background than in the
>foreground, under MultiFinder?

This has been discussed a great deal lately on GEnie.  The reason apparently
is that in the foreground, RR spends a great deal of time checking for
events (like DA activation) and even more time in quickdraw for the fancy
indicator.  I'm certain that there will be an option in the next version of
RR for a very fast, no frills type download.  In the meantime, for large
downloads, you can put RR in the background if you have multifinder, or use
RR with something like the BackDown DA if you don't.

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu.UUCP
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (01/06/88)

In article <1294@runx.ips.oz>, clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

> Has anyone noticed that RR 10.3 downloads FASTER in the background than in
> foreground, under MultiFinder?

	...and that VersaTerm downloads (nearly) twice as fast ??!!
	at least that is my experience when accessing local BBSes running
	RRhost ... I use the RR-script to get on, start the download with
	type 2 (other), then switch to VersaTerm and receive in MacBinary ...
--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu		(prefered address)
kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu

jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) (01/08/88)

In article <426@ut-emx.UUCP> kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>	...and that VersaTerm downloads (nearly) twice as fast ??!!
>	at least that is my experience when accessing local BBSes running
>	RRhost ... I use the RR-script to get on, start the download with
>	type 2 (other), then switch to VersaTerm and receive in MacBinary ...

Hear! Hear!  I used to be a die-hard RR fan.  Not since getting Versaterm.
However, RR still does a very nice job on login procedures with the macro
language, so I use it as described above.

None of the RR's, including 10.3, have completely kept up with continuous
2400 baud input.  Beyond that, forget it.  Versaterm handles 2400 baud with
ease, and more.

As for up/downloading, I've had compared both at 19.2K for xmodem and kermit,
and I'm afraid Versaterm is easily the winner.

Versaterm was also one of the first packages out with an elegant update to
provide full multifinder awareness.

I have no financial or personal interests in the producers of Versaterm, I just
think there should be more such slickly-done mac applications.
--
uiucuxc!tikal!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP

lriggins@afit-ab.arpa (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/09/88)

In article <1925@phred.UUCP> jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) writes:
>In article <426@ut-emx.UUCP> kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>>	...and that VersaTerm downloads (nearly) twice as fast ??!!
>>	at least that is my experience when accessing local BBSes running
>>	RRhost ... I use the RR-script to get on, start the download with
>>	type 2 (other), then switch to VersaTerm and receive in MacBinary ...
>
>Hear! Hear!  I used to be a die-hard RR fan.  Not since getting Versaterm.
>However, RR still does a very nice job on login procedures with the macro
>language, so I use it as described above.

I'm not familiar with VersaTerm, but if it doesn't support your login,
try the AutoLog DA.  It's flexible enough for me, allowing prompted user
input such as selecting one of several machines on one phone number.  I have
it installed directly in the application (MS Works) and it functions ok with
MultiFinder (which I seldom use so there may be glitches I haven't discovered.)

--

Maurice                lriggins@afit-ab.ARPA

gregr@tekig4.TEK.COM (Greg Rogers) (01/09/88)

I didn't know that Red Ryder now does downloads in the background under
MultiFinder.  Does this include Kermit downloads?  With what version did this
feature originate?  Could anyone comment on how well this feature was
implemented?

Thanks in advance.

				Greg Rogers
				Tektronix

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (01/12/88)

In article <2343@tekig4.TEK.COM> gregr@tekig4.UUCP (Greg Rogers) writes:
>I didn't know that Red Ryder now does downloads in the background under
>MultiFinder.  Does this include Kermit downloads?  With what version did this
>feature originate?  Could anyone comment on how well this feature was
>implemented?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>				Greg Rogers
>				Tektronix

Although I have not used Red Ryder 10.3 to download under MultiFinder, there
have been several comments in the FreeSoft Rountable on GEnie regarding this
subject.

From my understanding, any sort of download is supported in the MultiFinder
background.  Although Red Ryder 10.0 could do this after some ResEdit
tweaking, RR 10.3 seems to be quite happy with MultiFinder without any added
fixes.

Strangely enough, Red Ryder 10.3 performs X-modem CRC downloads faster in the
background under MultiFinder than when RR is running in the foreground (with
or without MultiFinder).  That doesn't seem quite right, but it has been
observed and reported by several RR users.  Thus the implementation of
MultiFinder functionality seems to have been done well, at least with respect
to file transfers.

Jim