[comp.sys.mac] Patton Vs. Rommel vs. MacII

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (01/09/88)

I talked to the people at Electronic Arts, and they told me that Patton vs
Rommel was NOT mac II compatible.  Hmm.  The problem is that the II I'm
getting is the 5M one.

I don't think you can trick the II into thinking it is a 1M machine, because
you had to move the 256K SIMMs to the second bank and put the 1M SIMMs in the
low bank for the extra memory to be recognized, so where the 256K SIMMs are
in a 1M machine is not where they are in a 5M machine.  Sigh...

Anyone who REALLY knows what they're talking about, please correct me ;-)

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (01/11/88)

I wish someone would combine the following features into a central
utility (FKEY?)  that would make the Mac II behave more like a vanilla
Mac:

1.  Turn off cache
2.  Turn off multifinder or disable it.
3.  Go to black/white mode
4.  Recofigure the machine to think it only has 1 megabyte
5.  Can anyone think of other things to try, to make misbehaving
    programs run?

(It might have to reboot the machine to do this).

This would be a great help to Mac II owners, but a step backwards,
because it encourages sleazy software products, such as the Microsoft
(Excel), Macpaint (Bill Atkinson) and MacWrite (Apple).  All these
programs use terribly machine-dependent kluges and don't rely on the
system software the way they should.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (01/11/88)

In article <6093@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>I talked to the people at Electronic Arts, and they told me that Patton vs
>Rommel was NOT mac II compatible.  Hmm.  The problem is that the II I'm
>getting is the 5M one.
>
>I don't think you can trick the II into thinking it is a 1M machine, because
>you had to move the 256K SIMMs to the second bank and put the 1M SIMMs in the
>low bank for the extra memory to be recognized, so where the 256K SIMMs are
>in a 1M machine is not where they are in a 5M machine.  Sigh...
>
>Anyone who REALLY knows what they're talking about, please correct me ;-)

Well, I know nothing about Patton vs. Rommel; but I'd imagine that the
problem runs much deeper than memory size (I'd guess that it works OK on
a 4M MacPlus).  You can't fool the Mac II into thinking it is 1M, but
you can fool everything that runs on it into thinking that.  Simply set your
RAM cache to 4096K.

						_emt

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (01/12/88)

In article <6093@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:

|I don't think you can trick the II into thinking it is a 1M machine, because
|you had to move the 256K SIMMs to the second bank and put the 1M SIMMs in the
|low bank for the extra memory to be recognized, so where the 256K SIMMs are
|in a 1M machine is not where they are in a 5M machine.  Sigh...

You might try running it under MultiFinder with a small (1024K) partition.
Might confuse it enough to let it come up.

|Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh

Jerry Whitnell				Lizzi Borden took an axe
Communication Solutions, Inc.		And plunged it deep into the VAX;
					Don't you envy people who
					Do all the things You want to do?