[comp.sys.mac] MacDraft reads MacDraw?

ian@inmet.UUCP (01/07/88)

Is it possible to get MacDraft to read in a MacDraw document
or a PICT format file?  Also, if a MacDraw document was designed
in landscape format, when read into Superpaint it gets reduced.
Any ideas on how to avoid this?
  While we're at it, any opinions on the relative merits
  of MacDraft, MacDraw, and Superpaint?  I'm looking at all
  three.

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (01/12/88)

In article <127200017@inmet> ian@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Is it possible to get MacDraft to read in a MacDraw document
>or a PICT format file?

MacDraft is designed to do this. (I use the word design advisedly; see below)
It doesn't always work, especially when the entity count gets on the high side.

>Also, if a MacDraw document was designed
>in landscape format, when read into Superpaint it gets reduced.
>Any ideas on how to avoid this?

The one page limitation of SuperPaint seems to be a severe limitation of the
package.  Perhaps rotation of the entities before transferring might help
(although the text would no longer be directly editable, of course).

>  While we're at it, any opinions on the relative merits
>  of MacDraft, MacDraw, and Superpaint?  I'm looking at all
>  three.

AH, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY FOR A *LONG* TIME!

FLAME ON!

I have a love-hate relationship with MacDraft.  It has some features that
clearly make it the choice over MacDraw (eg. Zoom-in, better spline handling,
better dimensioning, and some others).

However, I personally would recommend all those who don't already own it to
stay away from it like the plague!  It is BUGGY!  I am referring to version
1.2, which sometimes forgets about whole bunches of entities in the drawing,
ends up with multiple scroll box handles, has VERY aggravating entity
selection criteria, and a host of other bugs which are clearly not the mark of
a profesional product.  I consider MacDraft to be the poorest implementation
of a serious Mac application.  (There are other contenders amongst the
non-serious applications, but I don't want to get into THAT.)

I finally called their tech support  about a week ago on a rather frustrating
problem (which was the LaserWriter's fault (required power cycling) and not
MacDraft's), and was basically told: "You should UPGRADE to version 1.2*b*
The upgrade fee is $25."

At a local users' group meeting, I was told that MacDraft 1.2b "unexpectedly
quits" after printing when running under MultiFinder.  Not only that, but the
1.2b version is the exactly the same as 1.2, but with some bug fixes.

Soooooooo, I am supposed to fork over an additional $25 for bug fixes on a
piece of software that I already paid for, and STILL doesn't work properly?

They have got to be kidding!

My recommendation: Spend your money and buy a package from a more reputable
vendor.  DO NOT SUPPORT SOFTWARE SUCH AS MACDRAFT!  I plan purchase some
other serious drafting/drawing package this as soon as practical.
Suggestions from the net are welcome.

FLAME OFF!

I have no connection with IDD, except as a dissatisfied customer.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."