[comp.sys.mac] TOPS info, please

cordy@qucis.UUCP (Jim Cordy) (01/07/88)

I have heard TOPS mentioned as a possible solution to my Mac/Sun
interfacing desires.  I have no idea what TOPS is or where I can get it.
Will some kind soul (preferably one using TOPS) please clue me in?
Is it software?  Is it hardware?  What does it do?  What does it cost?

Thanks
Jim Cordy	cordy%qucis.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
		cordy@qucis.bitnet

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (01/12/88)

>what is TOPS, who makes it?

TOPS is made by the TOPS division of Sun Microsystems. It is software on the
Mac side, it is a Tops board + software on DOS pcs and I have no idea what it
is on Sun machines or other unix boxes. The latest version is 2.0, which Sun
has not sent me yet, even tho I sent in my registration card when I bought
version 1.8 for my Mac II and My Vectra (Hp AT).

David L. Williams
dlw@hpda
Hewlett Packard, Cupertino Ca
Software Development Technology Laboratory
Distributed Computing Environment Project
Mailstop: 47LR
"Sinanju, buddy -- the real stuff"

klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) (01/12/88)

In article <53@qucis.UUCP> cordy@qucis.UUCP (Jim Cordy) writes:
>I have heard TOPS mentioned as a possible solution to my Mac/Sun
>interfacing desires.
>
>Thanks
>Jim Cordy	cordy%qucis.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>		cordy@qucis.bitnet

Yes.  That is, it is hardware and software, depending on the machine(s)
you wish to connect.  For a Mac, you'll need a (standard) AppleTalk node,
and the Mac TOPS software.  For the IBM PC, the standard TOPS kit includes
a card and software.

I'm not sure what comes with the SUN TOPS kit.  I have used TOPS on a
small network of Macs with two IBM PC's as file servers (I knew they
had to have SOME practical function :-).  File transfers between machines
are incredible transparent.  Mount your (IBM) file server with the TOPS
desk acc., open it, and drag the files you want onto your Mac disk, and
that's it.

Now, for my question:  Any TOPS users out there that can tell me how
the Sun to Mac connection is done?  It seems to me that there must be some
kind of AppleTalk/EtherNet gateway.  Or does the Mac plug into the Ether?
Or does the Sun plug into AppleTalk?  If it requires a box, how much?  etc,
etc. -- Any info appreciated.

--
Karl Klashinsky                         "I shall endeavour to
University of Victoria                  function adequately."

e-mail:	{uw-beaver, ubc-vision}!uvicctr!klash

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (01/13/88)

In article <351@uvicctr.UUCP> klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) writes:
>Now, for my question:  Any TOPS users out there that can tell me how
>the Sun to Mac connection is done?  It seems to me that there must be some
>kind of AppleTalk/EtherNet gateway.  Or does the Mac plug into the Ether?
>Or does the Sun plug into AppleTalk?  If it requires a box, how much?  etc,
>etc. -- Any info appreciated.

We had TOPS running on a UNIX box (a MicroVax II in our case) a month or so
ago.  We have an evaluation copy of a product from Mt. Xinu, called Xinet,
that implements AppleTalk protocol over an EtherNet connection.  Then we
have a Kinetics FastPath (EtherNet to LocalTalk/PhoneNet gateway) to bridge
the two networks.  For the most part, everything works as one would expect.
Files on the UNIX box appear as regular icons in Finder windows.

We are currently testing the CAPS/AUFS/KIP software from Columbia and Stanford.
It uses the same hardware configuration, but uses AppleShare rather than TOPS
protocol.  It has some advantages like the ability to access regular UNIX
files (Xinet currently only lets you access Mac-compatible files).  Also,
the printer support is fairly extensive, allowing the Macs to print on UNIX
laser printers, and UNIX users to print to LaserWriters on the LocalTalk
network.  You can even set it up to have a print spooler on UNIX for a Mac
to LocalTalk-connected LaserWriter.  Best of all, its free (get it anonymous
ftp from sumex.stanford.edu).

When people all get back from vacation, we will be doing a more extensive
evaluation of the two system.  When I get a chance, I will post the results
on this net.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support
University of California