[comp.sys.mac] Using Compuserve

gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher) (01/12/88)

Help !?!?!

My father lent me his Compuserve account so I could download some stuff
for my Mac ][.

I have been able to XMODEM accross a .sit file (I can't get Kermit to work),
but it comes accross as a text document so StuffIT ignores it!

What is the right way of using/sending these files ??

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Lee Gleicher			(-: If it looks like I'm wandering
	Duke University			(-:    around like I'm lost . . .
E-Mail: gleicher@cs.duke.edu)(or uucp	(-:
Or P.O.B. 5899 D.S., Durham, NC 27706	(-:   It's because I am!

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (01/13/88)

In article <10915@duke.cs.duke.edu> gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher) writes:
>Help !?!?!
>
>My father lent me his Compuserve account so I could download some stuff
>for my Mac ][.
>
>I have been able to XMODEM accross a .sit file (I can't get Kermit to work),
>but it comes accross as a text document so StuffIT ignores it!
>
>What is the right way of using/sending these files ??

I use CompuServe regularly on my Mac II, and I used to use XMODEM all the time
(I use CompuServe B protocol now, which is considerably faster).  Anyways,
it sounds like your terminal emulator is set for plain XMODEM transfer, instead
of MacBinary XMODEM transfer.  You will need to setup your emulator to the
MacBinary XMODEM setting if it has it.  Otherwise you will need BinHex5 to
convert the MacBinary file you get to the real .SIT file.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/13/88)

In article <10915@duke.cs.duke.edu>, gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher) writes:
> Help !?!?!
>
> My father lent me his Compuserve account so I could download some stuff
> for my Mac ][.
>
> I have been able to XMODEM accross a .sit file (I can't get Kermit to work),
> but it comes accross as a text document so StuffIT ignores it!
>
> What is the right way of using/sending these files ??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> Michael Lee Gleicher			(-: If it looks like I'm wandering
> 	Duke University			(-:    around like I'm lost . . .
> E-Mail: gleicher@cs.duke.edu)(or uucp	(-:
> Or P.O.B. 5899 D.S., Durham, NC 27706	(-:   It's because I am!

	The file (like most on Compuserve and other Mac BBSs) is probably
in "MacBinary" format. Alot of the Mac Communications programs do the
MacBinary decoding as the file is being downloaded. In your case, this
conversion was not done -- therfor you ended up with a TEXT file. Either
the MacBinary conversion was disabled on your Communications program, or
it does not have that feature.
	There is a program for the Mac called BINHEX that will convert a
downloaded MacBinary file. If you run this on your dowloaded file, you will
then get a StuffIT file that StuffIT will recognize.
	Peter Espen

.
.
.