[comp.sys.mac] LSC on SE

lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) (01/05/88)

I am considering purchasing an SE with dual floppy drives and I would like to
run LSC on it. Has anyone had positive or negative experience with LSC on
dual floppy systems? Is a hard drive required to use LSC?
Leonard Hamey			Computer Science Dept.
lgh@cs.cmu.edu			Carnegie Mellon University
<Substitute your favourite disclaimer here>

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (01/06/88)

>I am considering purchasing an SE with dual floppy drives and I would like to
>run LSC on it. Has anyone had positive or negative experience with LSC on
>dual floppy systems? Is a hard drive required to use LSC?

I use LSC on a dual floppy Mac Plus. A hard drive is not required. All of the
program, a system, the mac libraries and include files fit on one 800K disk.
This leaves the other disk for ResEdit and the program under development.

I am hoping to buy a hard disk (donations accepted ;-) but the lack of a
hard disk is an annoyance, not a barrier.

Chris

bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM (Bradford Needham) (01/06/88)

In article <585@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:
>Has anyone had... experience with LSC on dual floppy systems?

I run LSC 2.01 on my dual-floppy SE: one drive contains the system, LSC
and its directories, and RMaker; the other drive contains the program under
development.  I had to strip the system and LSC directories quite a bit to
make it fit (e.g., I tossed the imagewriter driver and the example program
directories), but it has worked very well for me.

...that is, until the latest (2.13) release of LSC.

The new version of LSC is so much larger that I have no hope of fitting the
system stuff on one disk.  So far, I've just stuck with the 2.01 version, but
I plan to switch to a hard disk sometime soon.

This experience gives me the impression that I'm the only LSC user who
runs from floppies.

Brad Needham
bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM

earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) (01/06/88)

In article <585@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:

> I am considering purchasing an SE with dual floppy drives and I would like to
> run LSC on it. Has anyone had positive or negative experience with LSC on
> dual floppy systems? Is a hard drive required to use LSC?

I have run LightSpeed C on 512k and 1 Meg Macs with two floppy drives.  It
can be said to work, but one does notice the space limitation.  I have compiled
microemacs, which has about 500k of source files and 90k of finished product,
on both setups.  Since I haven't used a hard disk with a Mac, and I program
the Mac more or less as a hobby, I don't find this to be an extrememly painful
experience.  I imagine if I got the hard disk I wouldn't even consider going
back, much as I now wouldn't consider going back to the Tandy Color Computer...

If you are thinking of putting together one or maybe two "medium-sized"
programming projects, and don't mind the speed penalty and having to be
careful about what goes on your floppies, then LightSpeed C on two floppies
is a workable system.  (At least until Apple engorges the System file more.)
If you are considering doing this for a living, get the hard disk.
*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

clarke@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Cam Clarke) (01/06/88)

I run LSC on a MacPlus with 1 800K drive!  I load up a 512K Ram disk,
with a small system, the LSC program, and only the
include files I really need.  This leaves my 800K disk free for any libraries
and my project.  I've not had a problem with this, but If I were
developing something with, say, > 200K of source it might be tight on the 800K
disk.  I'm running version 2.01 right now, but the increase in the size
of LCS itself going to 2.13 is not a lot.  Most of the upgrade is new
include files and libraries (which in my case would go on the floppy)
I really think you can run LSC on 2 800K drives, and if you start to run
out of space, add a Ram disk.

					-Cam Clarke

clarke%husc4@harvard.ARPA	clarke@husc4.harvard.edu
clarke@husc4.UUCP		clarke@HARVUNXU.BITNET
..{seismo, harpo, ihnp4, linus, allegra, ut-sally}!harvard!husc4!clarke

joe@cbdkc1.ATT.COM (Here comes the ...) (01/07/88)

In article <2322@tekig4.TEK.COM> bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
>In article <585@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:
>>Has anyone had... experience with LSC on dual floppy systems?
>
>This experience gives me the impression that I'm the only LSC user who
>runs from floppies.

	I use LSC 2.13 on a Mac+ with only 1 floppy drive! with a
450K RamStart ramdisk.  I just wish I had a Mac SE with 2 drives
(and was that a printer I heard there in the background?)

I use one floppy to boot up and start the RamDisk and another to program.
It has LSC, Mac headers, Mac Libraries and my current project folder.
Plenty of room!.

I compile an app to RamDisk, quit LSC, pop out the diskette, put in
the ResEdit disk, do some resource stuff, quit, eject (for diskette's
safety) and run the app.

Off the record, I've had to reboot a couple (=a lot) of times before
I ever get anywhere with the app. Pain in the *ss. Lose the ramdisk a lot.
Mumble ... Mumble ....

Joseph Judge 		ihnp4!cbdkc1!joe 		AT&T Bell Labs

For those of you not from around here:
Universe!MilkyWay!SolarSystem!Earth!USA!Ohio!Columbus!AT&TBellLabs!cbdkc1!joe
--

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (01/08/88)

In article <585@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:
> I am considering purchasing an SE with dual floppy drives and I would like to
> run LSC on it. Has anyone had positive or negative experience with LSC on
> dual floppy systems? Is a hard drive required to use LSC?

I've been using LSC 2.11 (thanks for the upgrade, Rich!) to write C programs
for a class.  My configuration was a Mac Plus with an 800K drive, and an
external 400K drive.  Though it was tight, I was able to do my programming
efficiently.

Note that many of the libraries and include files had to be removed in order
to fit in this configuration (I didn't use EVERYTHING that Think provided!).

The 400K disk contained the system files (Finder 4.1) and the Macsbug debugger,
and the 800K disk contained LSC and the libraries, include, and project files.

With 2 800K drives (and, perhaps, any ram disks), I think that LSC could
run decently, depending on how you set it up.

Hope this helps!

Alan Takahashi                            !     hplabs   amdahl
Bell-Northern Research                    !          \   /
Mountain View, CA                         !   .....!{-----}!bnrmtv!takahashi
                                          !          /   \
"When you need to knock on wood is when   !    3comvax   ames
  you realize the world's composed of     !-----------------------------------
  aluminum and vinyl." -- Flugg's Law     ! DISCLAIMER: It's all an illusion.

lipsett@inmet.UUCP (01/09/88)

I use LSC on a 512Ke with two 800K drives.  It works well.  One disk
has a system/finder, LSC, and all the unix and mac libraries (no
source - no room).  It also has a few of the smaller utilities, which
I managed to cram on after deleting all the nonstandard fonts from the
system file - it's amazing how much space 24-point New York takes up.
The second disk I use for projects and for the bigger utilities
(ResEdit and RMaker).  It's really too bad that ResEdit won't fit,
because it really wants to be on the same disk as the system.

The only time I have a problem with this is when I need to fiddle with
source files from the LSC libraries.  Even that is not a serious pain.

BTW, this is LSC 2.01.

Roger Lipsett
{ihnp4,mirror}!inmet!lipsett

yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) (01/13/88)

In article <2322@tekig4.TEK.COM> bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
>>Has anyone had... experience with LSC on dual floppy systems?
>
>The new version of LSC is so much larger that I have no hope of fitting the
>system stuff on one disk.  So far, I've just stuck with the 2.01 version, but
>I plan to switch to a hard disk sometime soon.
>
>This experience gives me the impression that I'm the only LSC user who
>runs from floppies.
>
>Brad Needham
>bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM

Well, not quite, I am developing on a twin floppy SE also.  Yes you have to
really strip the system file, but I still had room for needed things like
DiskTop 1.2, miniWRITER, a programmers calculator, chooser, control pannel and
ClipEdit, and MacsBug.  I stripped all but the default fonts also.

I run under switcher and have removed the finder from the disk and have
switcher as the default startup application.  I still don't have room for a
printer driver other than preview 1.3 and if I'm going to use ResEdit or the
such like I either have to reboot or store such needed applications on my
development disk.

It can be done, but hopefully my hard disk will be on order soon so I will be
able to have such nice things as the MacMan DA on-line.

Don't worry, you can survive running 2.11 on twin 800K floppies.

	Yorick
--
+------------------------------------------+ The Knowledge-Based Systems Center