[comp.sys.mac] Programing ?: sound resources

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (01/09/88)

I have been poking around several PD programs that use sound, wanting to
do the same in my program, and I am somewhat confused.

I already know that there are two kinds of 'snd' resources: one for
hypercard, one for Mac II.

I have found resources named: ASND, BSND, SONG, snd...

Are there any standards in this area?

How could I play sounds in the various formats (that is to say, what
resources map to what sound driver routines)?

What is the best way to capture sounds for a program?

Chris Christensen                               Hewlett-Packard
(408) 553-2955 or telnet 553-2955               Design Technology Center
cnc@hpdtc%hplabs.hp.com                         Santa Clara, CA

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/12/88)

In article <870100@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>I already know that there are two kinds of 'snd' resources: one for
>hypercard, one for Mac II.
>
>I have found resources named: ASND, BSND, SONG, snd...
>
>Are there any standards in this area?

Yes, there are standards.  Enough to shake a stick at.  In the area of
resources, probably the best way to store them is the snd resource format
for HyperCard.  There are several stacks which allow SoundCap and SoundWave
files (files of digitized sound -- not resources -- created by two of the
more popular sound digitization programs) to be converted into HyperCard snd
resources.

>What is the best way to capture sounds for a program?

I like the Impulse digitizer (which comes with the SoundWave software);
there are, however, much cheaper kits (put out by BMUG?) which you could
probably put together.  I believe SoundWave can be purchased seperately from
Impulse.

                        Q:      How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a
                                job?
                        A:      Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip
                                its head off.

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher) (01/13/88)

In article <2638@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>there are, however, much cheaper kits (put out by BMUG?) which you could

Details please?
I have a Mac ][, little money, and would LOVE a digitizer.

Mike
Michael Lee Gleicher			(-: If it looks like I'm wandering
	Duke University			(-:    around like I'm lost . . .
E-Mail: gleicher@cs.duke.edu)(or uucp	(-:
Or P.O.B. 5899 D.S., Durham, NC 27706	(-:   It's because I am!