[comp.sys.mac] WriteNow vs. Mac II

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (01/09/88)

I tried to get WriteNow (1.0) to work on a Mac II.  It booted up fine, and
selections, cuts/pastes, etc. all worked fine, but when I went to type
a word (it began with "I"), the I got repeated 5 times!!!  Couldn't get it to
stop repeating.  This was NOT a kbd malfunction, since it worked fine with
other programs.

Any ideas?  Is there a new version of WN out?

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (01/11/88)

In article <6092@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
> I tried to get WriteNow (1.0) to work on a Mac II.  It booted up fine, and

We tried WriteNow on our Mac II with terrible/disasterous results.  Our
secretary was using it and ocassionaly when she would adjust a ruler
WriteNow would bomb.  Since we consider program bombs a big bug, we threw
the program out.  Other word processors behave much better on the II.  BTW,
I called the WriteNow support people and they disavowed all knowledge of the
bugs we mentioned and offered no suggestions.  We even had a WriteNow file
that anytime you opened it caused WriteNow to bomb.  It was very sad.
Ron Guest
ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (01/12/88)

I don't think the problem is WriteNow.  I have been using WriteNow
from my II since late 1986 (we were a beta site).  We have had no
problems with it.  It seems to run just fine all other the machines we
have here which is pretty useful.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (01/12/88)

I had some problems using WriteNow 1.00 on a Mac II, especially under
MultiFinder.

I got version 1.07, and it works fine, no problems of any kind.

You should talk to T/Maker and get them to send you the newer version.

		--Rich

Richard Siegel
THINK Technologies, QA Technician (on leave)
Carnegie-Mellon University, Confused Physics Major
Arpa: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,sun}!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (01/13/88)

In article <2552@druhi.ATT.COM> cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) writes:
>In article <6092@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>> I tried to get WriteNow (1.0) to work on a Mac II.  It booted up fine, and
>
>We tried WriteNow on our Mac II with terrible/disasterous results.

Strange?!  I've been using WriteNow on my Mac II for months, without a hitch.
Nothing real fancy, but just standard things like headers, footer, ruler
changes, printing, spell checking, etc.

My system has 5 Mb of RAM, a 40 Mb internal drive and a 19" color monitor.
The only thing I can remember out of the ordinary when setting up the system
(4.2, Finder 6.0, MultiFinder 1.0) was that I used Installer to create a
virgin system, rather than update my old system.  Then I added all my extra
fonts and DAs to this.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (01/13/88)

and Mark A. Verber writes:

>I don't think the problem is WriteNow.  I have been using WriteNow
>from my II since late 1986 (we were a beta site).  We have had no
>problems with it.  It seems to run just fine all other the machines we
>have here which is pretty useful.

Here at Cornell, we have a site license for WriteNow, and I'm running the
Cornell version 1.07 which appears to be the commerical version of WriteNow
1.07 except it brings up a window on launch telling you about the Cornell
license.

Anyway, I've noticed that WriteNow's been kind of unstable on my Mac II
system (Mac II, 2Mb, Apple color video w/ expansion, DF20).  By unstable I
mean bombs occur occassionally.  Its gotten to a point where I'm pretty sure
that WriteNow is the culprit.  Often the bombs would occur after I invoke
the spell checker part of WriteNow.  The bombs also seem to occur less
frequently if you save often...anyway, the problem is bad enough that I now
distrust WriteNow, which is to say I don't consider it stable enough for any
serious work anymore.  Its really sad, I was pretty impressed with this word
processor a year ago on my Plus.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-201-836-3673   Address: 671 Forest Avenue, Teaneck, NJ 07666 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (01/14/88)

Yes, despite some received flames, the problems with WriteNow are real.  Let
me also add that we can create a small file with a few rulers that will cause
MacWrite to bomb everytime too (on all kinds of Macs).  We tend to stress
out software, and I presume that's why some people have seen the problems
and some haven't.  Anyway, you'd never get our secretary to trust WriteNow
again.  MacWrite, though less capable, is much more stable.  Ragtime is the
most stable of all and makes best use of the different screen sizes we have.
Ron Guest
ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

Opinions are my own and not my employer's