[comp.sys.mac] Disk speed in SE

lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) (01/14/88)

OK. So I got my SE with two drives and I got my LSC compiler (version 2.11
but that will change as soon as I apply the net-land upgrades) and I am
very happy with it but I noticed
a strange thing...booting from the top drive takes 10 seconds lober for the
distributed system disk than for the bottom drive. Being paranoid, I wonder
whether this relates to the ROM bug mentioned previously on this network or
whether it is the expected performance of a correctly designed SE. So...how
do I find out whether I have buggy ROMs?
Leonard Hamey			Computer Science Dept.
lgh@cs.cmu.edu			Carnegie Mellon University
<Substitute your favourite disclaimer here>

esf00@amdahl.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (01/15/88)

In article <640@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:

>OK. So I got my SE with two drives ...
>..booting from the top drive takes 10 seconds longer for the
>distributed system disk than for the bottom drive.
>
>this relates to the ROM bug mentioned previously on this network or
>the expected performance of a correctly [sic] designed SE.

Yes.

that the fix will be distributed as a patch in a later version of the
system file.  Try 4.2/6.0 and see if that cures the problem.

Central Point Software distribues a patch for the "slow drive problem"
as part of Version 7.0 or later Copy II Mac.

--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]