[comp.sys.mac] Chooser Strangeness

suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) (12/23/87)

I'd talked to an Apple engineer about how the Chooser refuses to
turn on AppleTalk after the ImageWriter has been used without a
reboot in between.  I think that his comments apply to a previous
poster's comments about '0's at the start and end of lines after
switching from LW to IW.  (I'd seen it, too.)

He said that the Chooser does not re-initialize the serial port;
that's only done at reboot or startup time.  He said that Apple
intended for you to use only one kind of device on the serial
port in between reboots.

Hey, Apple, this is a bug!  I have a modem on the modem port,
an IW on the printer port, and I like to be able to hop into
LW to create PostScript files for uploading.  Any chance of a fix?

Thanks.
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

king@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) (01/05/88)

In article <2470@im4u.UUCP>, suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
> I'd talked to an Apple engineer about how the Chooser refuses to
> turn on AppleTalk after the ImageWriter has been used without a
> reboot in between.  I think that his comments apply to a previous
> poster's comments about '0's at the start and end of lines after
> switching from LW to IW.  (I'd seen it, too.)
>
> He said that the Chooser does not re-initialize the serial port;
> that's only done at reboot or startup time.  He said that Apple
> intended for you to use only one kind of device on the serial
> port in between reboots.
>
> Hey, Apple, this is a bug!  I have a modem on the modem port,
> an IW on the printer port, and I like to be able to hop into
> LW to create PostScript files for uploading.  Any chance of a fix?

Yes it is a bug and an annoying one, but creating a PostScript file
is done in an absurd manner anyway.  Maybe this is a good time to
propose a more user-friendly method for generating Postscript files.
The cryptic clover-key method is a real pain; it is easy to forget
and impossible for new users to guess (sounds like another well-known
brand of PC!).  It also gives your file a dumb name.

Why not have a "printer driver" accessible from the Chooser (like the
Glue software) that if chosen would save a Postscript file instead of
really printing.

There should then be a dialog box so you can name the PostScript
file and so you could check whether you wanted the header file
prepended or not.

Alternatively, there could be a PS option in the Print Dialog box.
But there should be some visible Mac-like way of generating a
PostScript file.  And there seems to be no reason at all that such an
option should depend on the state of the serial port, since the stuff
is not going to the serial port anyway.

Is it possible to write a CDEV that will do this without waiting for
Apple?

> Thanks.
> --
> Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

Jim King

uucpnet address:   uw-beaver!uw-entropy!king
Internet (arpanet) address:    king@entropy.ms.washington.edu
Bitnet address:
king%entropy.ms.washington.edu@beaver.cs.washington.edu

James King
Dept of Math
Univ of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195

planting@colby.WISC.EDU ( W. Harry Plantinga) (01/05/88)

>> Chooser does not re-initialize the serial port;
>> that's only done at reboot or startup time.... Apple
>> intended for you to use only one kind of device on the serial
>> port in between reboots.
>>
>> Hey, Apple, this is a bug!  I have a modem on the modem port,
>> an IW on the printer port, and I like to be able to hop into
>> LW to create PostScript files for uploading.  Any chance of a fix?

>Why not have a "printer driver" accessible from the Chooser (like the
>Glue software) that if chosen would save a Postscript file instead of
>really printing.

There's another thing about printing that really annoys me.  There are
options that can be chosen in the print dialog that affect the way the
page looks.  For example, in Word, selecting "fractional widths" makes
more text fit on each line.  However, having fractional widths
selected also makes the program run many times slower.  So what do I
have to do to preview a paper that is to be printed with fractional
widths?  Select print, select fractional widths, and hit "ok."  Then
try to cancel the printing before anything gets printed.

This is ridiculous.  I have to start a printing and abort it just to
see how the paper will look printed out?

brion@hounx.UUCP (B.FEINBERG) (01/06/88)

Some recent postings by suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) and
!uw-entropy!king (king @ UW MathStat, Seattle) discussed problems creating
postscript files using the laserwriter drivers on the Mac. Some excerpts
include:

>> I'd talked to an Apple engineer about how the Chooser refuses to
>> turn on AppleTalk after the ImageWriter has been used without a
>> reboot in between.
>>
>> Hey, Apple, this is a bug!  I have a modem on the modem port,
>> an IW on the printer port, and I like to be able to hop into
>> LW to create PostScript files for uploading.  Any chance of a fix?

>Yes it is a bug and an annoying one, but creating a PostScript file
>is done in an absurd manner anyway.  Maybe this is a good time to
>propose a more user-friendly method for generating Postscript files.
>The cryptic clover-key method is a real pain; it is easy to forget
>and impossible for new users to guess (sounds like another well-known
>brand of PC!).
>
>Why not have a "printer driver" accessible from the Chooser (like the
>Glue software) that if chosen would save a Postscript file instead of
>really printing.
>
>Alternatively, there could be a PS option in the Print Dialog box.

First, a trick that helps (somewhat).  Get a copy of the old control panel
that included the option of turning Appletalk on and off.  Rename it using
Resedit to something like "Old Control Panel,"  (so you can still have the
new control panel available).  Before accessing the chooser
to select the laserwriter, fist turn on Appletalk using the Old Control Panel.
Make sure your Imagewriter II is turned off or it may go crazy thinking it is
talking to Appletalk (doesn't seem to be a problem with the IW 1 however).
This trick doesn't always work (sometimes the Mac still refuses to turn on
Appletalk) but I've usually been able to get things working (sometimes it
helps to designate the port for the Imagewriter as the modem port before trying
to turn on Appletalk).

Secondly, I'd like to vehemently support the discussion about how warped the
method of generating postscript is.  Besides being totally non-Mac like, I've
wasted countless hours trying to get the generated postscript to print.  Apple's
scheme of downloading a dictionary of macros to the laserwriter makes life
very difficult for Laserwriters not on Appletalk networks.  Our Laserwriter
sits off a datakit network connected to Unix VAXes.  We have no trouble
printing postscript files generated with troff on Unix, but printing the Mac
generated postscript files is not easy.  Downloading the header file (using
the Cntl-k trick) didn't seem to work but eventually we found the modified
header files created by Brian Powell brian@sally.utexas.edu and
Ron Hitchens  hitchens@sally.utexas.edu that can be prepended to the normal
postscript (Cntl-f) for printing on the laserwriter.  This all worked okay
(we had some trouble with the Laserwriter 4.0 driver and only used the 3.1
driver) until we purchased a non-Apple postscript printer.  Despite days of
work, I still can't print most documents on this new printer.  Everything works
fine when the non-Apple printer is on an Appletalk network, but downloading
the generated postscript works only on the simplest files.

Apple's decision to permanently load the dictionary in the Laserwriter suffers
another problem.  It forces all users on an Appletalk network to use a single
Laserwriter driver.  Although I have no personal experience with this, I suspect
problems might arise if the Appletalk Laserwriter is shared with non-Mac
machines generating postscript.  At the least, the dictionary takes up
valuable Laserwriter memory in this shared environment.  With Apple's push
for "connectivity," their inherent assumption that both the Mac and the
Laserwriter sit on a common Appletalk network is quite limiting.

Postscript has the capability to define completely self-contained printing
commands that should be machine independent.  In fact, the programs from
Powell and Hitchens prepend commands to the Cntl-f generated postscript to
create a self-contained unit (the macros are only defined for that single
print job).  Agreeably, some time is saved if the dictionary is permantly
installed in the Laserwriter, and there is also the issue of downloading
fonts to the Laserwriter.  Apple's approach has some merits, but the user
should still be able to generate EASILY (i.e. what we normally expect from a
Mac) device independent, totally self-contained postscript
files.  In addition to making it easier to print on non-Appletalk Laserwriters
and non-Apple postscript printers, this would also simplify the process of
importing postscript descriptions into other programs - for example to print
a Mac generated figure in a troff or TeX file on a Unix machine.

Well, that is my 2 cents worth.

Brion

Brion Feinberg
(201) 949-5665
uucp: ihnp4!hounx!brion
arpa: "ihnp4!hounx!brion"@decwrl.dec.com

darin@apple.UUCP (Darin Adler) (01/06/88)

In article <4964@spool.cs.wisc.edu> planting@colby.WISC.EDU ( W. Harry Plantinga) writes:
> There's another thing about printing that really annoys me.  There are
> options that can be chosen in the print dialog that affect the way the
> page looks.  For example, in Word, selecting "fractional widths" makes
> more text fit on each line.  However, having fractional widths
> selected also makes the program run many times slower.  So what do I
> have to do to preview a paper that is to be printed with fractional
> widths?  Select print, select fractional widths, and hit "ok."  Then
> try to cancel the printing before anything gets printed.
>
> This is ridiculous.  I have to start a printing and abort it just to
> see how the paper will look printed out?

What you describe here is a misfeature in Word. Normally, any options that
affect how the page looks are in the "Page Setup..." dialog, rather than the
"Print..." dialog. Microsoft made a serious mistake by moving some of these
options into the Print dialog, requiring the ridiculous technique above.

Carefully-written applications (and those which do not customize the printing
dialogs) will not exhibit this kind of problem.
--
Darin Adler, Apple Computer                          AppleLink:Adler4
UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!darin  CSNET: darin@Apple.com

spector@suvax1.UUCP (Mitchell Spector) (01/07/88)

In article <696@entropy.ms.washington.edu>, king@entropy.ms.washington.edu
(Jim King) writes:

> In article <2470@im4u.UUCP>, suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:

> > I'd talked to an Apple engineer about how the Chooser refuses to
> > turn on AppleTalk after the ImageWriter has been used without a
> > reboot in between....

> > He said that the Chooser does not re-initialize the serial port;
> > that's only done at reboot or startup time.  He said that Apple
> > intended for you to use only one kind of device on the serial
> > port in between reboots.
> >
> > Hey, Apple, this is a bug!  I have a modem on the modem port,
> > an IW on the printer port, and I like to be able to hop into
> > LW to create PostScript files for uploading.  Any chance of a fix?

> > Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU   512-474-9517/471-3903

> Yes it is a bug and an annoying one, but creating a PostScript file
> is done in an absurd manner anyway.  Maybe this is a good time to
> propose a more user-friendly method for generating Postscript files.
> [Proposed new method for generating Postscript files.]

> uucpnet address:   uw-beaver!uw-entropy!king
> Internet (arpanet) address:    king@entropy.ms.washington.edu
> Bitnet address:
> king%entropy.ms.washington.edu@beaver.cs.washington.edu

> James King
> Dept of Math
> Univ of Washington
> Seattle, WA 98195

   Here's another (perhaps more common) reason for needing to switch from
ImageWriter to LaserWriter after the ImageWriter has been used, without
having to reboot.

   A lot of people use Microsoft Word to write a document for printing on a
LaserWriter, although the computer they're working on has only an ImageWriter.
If you use the Chooser to select LaserWriter, Word will then format your
document on the screen as it will appear when printed on the LaserWriter.
(Formatting differs on the two printers.  For example, page breaks appear in
different locations.)

   The way Chooser is currently set up, you have to reboot before doing this
if you've used the ImageWriter for anything at all since the last boot.
Moreover, if you print a draft on the ImageWriter, you have to reboot if you
want to continue editing using LaserWriter formatting.  (Of course, you could
put your ImageWriter on the modem port if you don't have a modem.  But if you
have both an ImageWriter and a modem, you're out of luck.)

   This is an annoying bug which I hope Apple will fix.
--
Mitchell Spector                                        |"Give me a
Dept. of Computer Science & Software Eng., Seattle Univ.|     ticket to

levin@bbn.COM (Joel B Levin) (01/08/88)

:(Jim King) writes:
:
:> In article <2470@im4u.UUCP>, suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
:
:> > I'd talked to an Apple engineer about how the Chooser refuses to
:> > turn on AppleTalk after the ImageWriter has been used without a
:> > reboot in between....
:
:   Here's another (perhaps more common) reason for needing to switch from
:ImageWriter to LaserWriter after the ImageWriter has been used, without
:having to reboot.
:
:   A lot of people use Microsoft Word to write a document for printing on a
:LaserWriter, although the computer they're working on has only an ImageWriter.
:If you use the Chooser to select LaserWriter, Word will then format your
:document on the screen as it will appear when printed on the LaserWriter.
: ...

As far as I can determine, the major difference is the width of the
page.  This is certainly so for MacDraw and other applications that
can print to either device.

The quick/dirty solution to your problem: leave it set to ImageWriter,
and use Tall Adjusted (I know, this is tricky in Word 3+).  The lines
and pages will now be broken at the same place as they would for the
Laserwriter at 100%, and no Choosing is necessary.

	/JBL

--
UUCP: {harvard, husc6, etc.}!bbn!levin
ARPA: levin@bbn.com

holt@apple.UUCP (Bayles Holt) (01/15/88)

Reply to 11369,...
: I'd talked to an Apple engineer about how the Chooser refuses to
: turn on AppleTalk after the ImageWriter has been used without a
: reboot in between.

I understand from the engineer working on the ImageWriter drivers that
the bug has been located and fixed.  It is not a bug in the Chooser, but
instead is a bug in the driver.  The fix should appear in the next
version of the ImageWriter driver.
             --Nik Bhatt
             --AppleLink address: BHATT1

:w