[comp.sys.mac] AppleTalk PC card

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (01/13/88)

I purchased an AppleTalk PC Card on monday. Its obvious that you should
not have a mouse and a modem (I am using an AT - PC users might use IRQ 2)
otherwise you'll have to trash one...

I would like to use IRQ 5 for the AppleTalk PC card (not used in my system,
I've only one printer attached). - should be an easy hardware modification.
However, the atalk.exe program does not allow /cardint=5. Has anyone
done that before?  Is someone at Apple listening?

I know that this modification will void warranty and that any hints
regarding the patch will be without any garantees..

Joachim Lindenberg, University of Karlsruhe
Federal Republic of Germany, West Germany.

lenoil@apple.UUCP (01/16/88)

In article <30@iravcl.ira.uka.de> joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de writes:
>I purchased an AppleTalk PC Card on monday. Its obvious that you should
>not have a mouse and a modem (I am using an AT - PC users might use IRQ 2)
>otherwise you'll have to trash one...
>
>I would like to use IRQ 5 for the AppleTalk PC card (not used in my system,
>I've only one printer attached). - should be an easy hardware modification.
>However, the atalk.exe program does not allow /cardint=5. Has anyone
>done that before?  Is someone at Apple listening?
>
>Joachim Lindenberg, University of Karlsruhe
>Federal Republic of Germany, West Germany.

Slow down Joachim, no hardware modifications are necessary.  Yesterday, Apple
announced the immediate availability of AppleShare PC, which allows PCs to
transparently access AppleShare file servers and AppleTalk LaserWriters and
ImageWriters.  AppleShare PC includes a new version of the ATALK.EXE AppleTalk
driver, which no longer uses the card's hardware interrupt feature.  The
/cardint setting is completely ignored, and does not conflict with your COM
ports.  The new driver will also be included with the AppleTalk PC Card, which
has now been renamed to the LocalTalk PC Card, in line with Apple's renaming of
AppleTalk Personal Network Cabling to LocalTalk Personal Network Cabling.
(This was done to avoid confusion between AppleTalk the network system, and
LocalTalk the cabling system, since AppleTalk protocols now run on various
cable systems, including Ethernet cabling.)  Additionally, the price of the
card has been dropped from $399 to $249 (AppleShare PC costs $149).  In other
words, you should have waited a few days to buy your card.  But the good news
is that the new ATALK.EXE (version 2.0) will solve your problems.

Robert Lenoil
Apple Computer Inc.
Network Systems Development