[comp.sys.mac] Smart Alarms patch

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (01/16/88)

A few months ago someone posted a patch to the Smart Alarms installer
program which prevents Smart Alarms from obnoxiously raising the volume of
the beeps it uses to notify you of a reminder.  If anyone still has this
patch around I'd appreciate a copy.

Thanks,

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-201-836-3673   Address: 671 Forest Avenue, Teaneck, NJ 07666 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

lriggins@afit-ab.arpa (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/16/88)

In article <3404@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:

>A few months ago someone posted a patch to the Smart Alarms installer
>program which prevents Smart Alarms from obnoxiously raising the volume of
>the beeps it uses to notify you of a reminder.  If anyone still has this
>patch around I'd appreciate a copy.

The original patch was from Brion Feinberg uucp: ihnp4!hounx!brion
                                     arpa: "ihnp4!hounx!brion"@decwrl.dec.com

The patch is to the Reminder.DRVR of version 2.5.

old: 08F0 4EBA FEEC 3F2E
new: 08F0 4E71 4E71 3F2E

Smart Alarms 2.5 raises the volume of the alarm only on second and subsequent
beeps (if you ignore the first).  This patch ELIMINATES second and subsequent
beeps.  The dialog box stays on the screen til you deal with it.

I had received a note here from one of the employees of Jam several months ago,
that this problem had been fixed back in version 2.58, so I ordered the upgrade
from their U.S. distributor, Imagine Software.  Apparently Imagine is shipping
versions of Smart Alarms which are actually quite old as the latest version.

--

Maurice                lriggins@afit-ab.ARPA