[comp.sys.mac] Screen Jitter on a Macintosh SE

niel@ihwpt.ATT.COM (M. N. Ransom) (01/15/88)

I had replied to the original author directly, but given the followup
comments, perhaps I should reply to the entire group.

We all know by now that the SE has a lousy fan:  it is very loud and
causes the screen to jitter.  There is, however, a very good fix: the
replacement fan available from ComputerWare (an all-Macintosh store in
California, 415-323-7557).  Their replacement fan is a muffin type.  It
pushes more air than the stock squirl-cage fan, is quiet, and doesn't
interfere with the screen.  I believe it sells for around $40.

I installed this replacement fan in my SE last fall and have been
extremely satisfied with the result.  The installation requires a minor
amount of soldering.  The installation can be reversed should you
require warranty work.

Given that the SE is almost a year old and Apple has done nothing to
correct its fan, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to offer a
fix.  Do yourself a favor--if you own an SE and don't mind soldering a
couple of wires, get this replacement fan.

					Niel Ransom

jeric@tybalt.caltech.edu (J. Eric Grove) (01/17/88)

In article <2223@ihwpt.ATT.COM> niel@ihwpt.ATT.COM (M. N. Ransom) writes:

>We all know by now that the SE has a lousy fan:  it is very loud and
[lines deleted]

>Given that the SE is almost a year old and Apple has done nothing to
>correct its fan, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to offer a
>fix.  Do yourself a favor--if you own an SE and don't mind soldering a
>couple of wires, get this replacement fan.
>
>					Niel Ransom

I'm not certain, but I believe Apple has fixed the fan problem.  My SE
arrived less than a month ago with a satisfyingly quiet fan and no screen
jitter.  I am, however, not sure that it moves quite as much air as the
old fan.  I've listened to other new SEs with quiet fans.  I'd say the
days of the howling horrors are ended.

		J. Eric Grove
		jeric@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!jeric