[comp.sys.mac] MacLanding mystery....

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (01/10/88)

I just got the Mac version of the Defender arcade game (called MacLanding),
and it is acting VERY BIZARRE!  First it didn't have any sound, but it played
okay.  The next day, it played one game WITH SOUND.  When I next played it,
the background changed to black (it was white before).  Now IT REFUSES TO
PLAY!!!  It starts up okay, but whenever I attempt to shoot anything it
returns to the Finder!!!!  :-(

Is this some sort of wierd protection scheme?  This is a Shareware program...,
I wonder if it keeps track of how many times it has been used, and quits after
it has been used N times?  I tried running it with an older System/Finder (I
was using 4.1/5.5), but it still wouldn't play.  I also tried setting my
clock back by a year, but that didn't help either.

ANY clues/suggestion are sincerely appreciated!  This looked like a pretty
neat game, and I was going to pay the shareware fee, but it crapped out on me
before I could really evaluate it.

	-Ted

------------------------------------
Ted Johnson
Hewlett-Packard, Design Technology Center
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408)553-3555
UUCP: ...hplabs!hpcea!hpcilzb!tedj

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (01/10/88)

I forgot to mention:  I am running this game on an SE HD20, with 1 Meg of RAM.

-Ted

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (01/12/88)

	Another MacLanding Question:
When you use MacLanding on the old (128K) keyboard, the enter key
is a "Smart Bomb". On newer keyboards (e.g. Plus and SE) I can't
figure out how to get Smart Bombs. Needless to say this severly
cramps one's style.
	Can anybody patch this?

				Jim Meiss
 NOTE NEW ADDRESS:		jdm@emx.cc.utexas.edu
				jdm@uta.nmfecc.ARPA

tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) (01/13/88)

In article <870102@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

> I just got the Mac version of the Defender arcade game (called MacLanding),
> and it is acting VERY BIZARRE!  First it didn't have any sound, but it played
> okay.  The next day, it played one game WITH SOUND.  When I next played it,
> the background changed to black (it was white before).  Now IT REFUSES TO
> PLAY!!!  It starts up okay, but whenever I attempt to shoot anything it
> returns to the Finder!!!!  :-(

The background (black or white) is set by hitting the SETUP button.  Also:

To control the sound - typing 'S' turns on and off the sound,
while hitting 0 - 9 adjust the volume.

Also, <option> is hyperspace, 'Q' is quit, 'R' is reset,

I'm not sure where the smart bomb key is, but I think there is one.

I've never once had a problem with MacLanding.  Maybe the copy I sent
you came across bad - but I doubt that.

ALSO - MacLanding will remember setting such as black or white background as long
as you use the same TOP Score file.

: Tom Carstensen              Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM :
: Mentor Graphics             GEnie:  XPC23637               :
:                                                            :
:     . . . and this shall be Max Headroom's finest hour.    :
:                                       - Max Headroom       :

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (01/14/88)

In article <870102@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

> I just got the Mac version of the Defender arcade game (called MacLanding),
> and it is acting VERY BIZARRE!  First it didn't have any sound, but it played
> okay.  The next day, it played one game WITH SOUND.  When I next played it,
> the background changed to black (it was white before).  Now IT REFUSES TO
> PLAY!!!  It starts up okay, but whenever I attempt to shoot anything it
> returns to the Finder!!!!  :-(
>
> Is this some sort of wierd protection scheme?  This is a Shareware program...,
> I wonder if it keeps track of how many times it has been used, and quits after
> it has been used N times?  I tried running it with an older System/Finder (I
> was using 4.1/5.5), but it still wouldn't play.  I also tried setting my
> clock back by a year, but that didn't help either.
>
> ANY clues/suggestion are sincerely appreciated!  This looked like a pretty
> neat game, and I was going to pay the shareware fee, but it crapped out on me
> before I could really evaluate it.

Ted mentions in the next article that he is running it on an SE20.

I've used this on the exact same machine with no problems.  Except I can't
get the smart bomb (enter key) to work.  I'm using Apple's new extended
keyboard.  Anybody know a way to get this to work?  The game's almost
impossible without it!

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (01/17/88)

In article <348@ndcheg.UUCP> evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
>Ted mentions in the next article that he is running it on an SE20.
>
>I've used this on the exact same machine with no problems.  Except I can't
>get the smart bomb (enter key) to work.  I'm using Apple's new extended
>keyboard.  Anybody know a way to get this to work?  The game's almost
>impossible without it!

I brought this up about 3 months ago on the net to no avail.  It seems
when Apple redesigned the Mac 128/512K keyboards to the MacPlus keyboard,
the Enter key was changed in some way.  What the equivalent of the old 512K
keyboard is now, I don't know.  I've also run into this problem in
Lightspeed Pascal while using the EOF function for keyboard input.  On the
older keyboards, Enter signifies EOF.  On the newer ones, Cmd-shift-3
works.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
               BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!