[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Color Desktop Bacground Screen

viking@iuvax.UUCP (Jon W. Backstrom) (01/14/88)

In today's MacWeek (Jan 12, 1988  Vol 2, Number 2) on page 52 in the lower
right corner, there is a picture of Doug Cayne with his Mac II.  The photo
includes a view of his desktop which includes a *color* background screen.

I want it!! (Or the ability to have my own colored background screen).  Is
there some software floating around to do this?  Shareware?  Public domain?
I've seen things like this for the standard Macs, but not the Mac II.

Any and all information is appreciated...thanks in advance.

Jon Backstrom
Computer Science Department
Indiana University          ARPA: viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Lindley Hall 101            UUCP: {pyramid,ihnp4,pur-ee,rutgers}!iuvax!viking
Bloomington, IN  47405

krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) (01/18/88)

In article <5463@iuvax.UUCP> viking@iuvax.UUCP (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
>In today's MacWeek (Jan 12, 1988  Vol 2, Number 2) on page 52 in the lower
>right corner, there is a picture of Doug Cayne with his Mac II.  The photo
>includes a view of his desktop which includes a *color* background screen.

I haven't checked the exact reference in MacWeek, but I know of one
answer to this query.  There is an init called "DeskPict" which will
read any PICT file named "DeskPicture" placed in your system folder,
and replace the normal desktop pattern with the specified picture.  I
haven't played around with it much, but it seems to work fine on the
Mac II, and has worked with several pictures I've tried.  (Note:  the
copy I have came with a nice color picture of a landscape with the
"Apple" logo, and some reflective spheres...makes for a nice demo).
The only caveat I have is that the picture can be a real memory hog,
it takes up an extra 700-800K of system memory when run on a 19", 256-color
monitor.  DeskPict should be floating around on most bulletin boards
by now; may also be on CompuServe (not sure since I don't subscribe).

Kurt Marko
{ihnp4, ulysses,...most gateways...}!aluxz!krm