[comp.sys.mac] Mac Finder Funny

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/14/88)

Here's a cute one. I was erasing a bunch of disks in my library, and one of
them was completely full. So I stuck it in the drive, chose "erase disk",
and the finder came back and said:

	This disk is so full that folder changes could not be recorded.

It then initialized the disk and wiped out the folders it was trying to
record changes to.

It's reassuring to know that the finder is so thorough.

chuq
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach		chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (01/18/88)

In article <38820@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>them was completely full. So I stuck it in the drive, chose "erase disk",
>and the finder came back and said:
>	This disk is so full that folder changes could not be recorded.
>It then initialized the disk and wiped out the folders it was trying to
>record changes to.
>It's reassuring to know that the finder is so thorough.

Just the other night...
I was duplicating a PD game file (my son said that the game bombed sometimes
when he fired it up (Zero Gravity), and I suspected a disk problem).  I did a
^D to duplicate, and the finder came back with a "The file, foo could not be
copied ... disk error: Continue / Cancel" dialog box.  So as usual, I hit the
cancel button.  Well, what happens?  When the dialog box disappears, the
finder neatly deletes not only the duplicate file, but the ORIGINAL file
itself.  HARDLY friendly!  The desktop appears to be purged of the file's
information, of course.

Have I missed something obvious, or have I been bitten by a bug?
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."