[comp.sys.mac] Can the MacII be used sideways?

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (01/16/88)

Can the macII be mounted sideways, on the floor, and used in that
configuration? I guess I'd like to have it on its left side so that
the floppy is within reach. It would be in a stand to keep it off
the floor, etc. I suppose the biggest concern is cooling. If anyone
has been doing this, I'd like to know. thanks.

 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853

crowe@whuts.UUCP (CROWE) (01/16/88)

In article <3401@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) writes:

> Can the macII be mounted sideways, on the floor, and used in that
> configuration? I guess I'd like to have it on its left side so that
> the floppy is within reach. It would be in a stand to keep it off
> the floor, etc. I suppose the biggest concern is cooling. If anyone
> has been doing this, I'd like to know. thanks.

Kensington has an add on the back cover of the Feb. MacWorld that has
what you need.  Long cables and a floor stand.  They lift it off
the ground for cooling purposes, or so they claim.

The stuff looks pretty good.

D. Crowe
AT&T Bell Labs
Whippany, NJ
whuts!crowe

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (01/16/88)

in article <3401@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) says:
> Keywords:macII side floor dust bunnies
>

> Can the macII be mounted sideways, on the floor, and used in that
> configuration? I guess I'd like to have it on its left side so that
> the floppy is within reach. It would be in a stand to keep it off
> the floor, etc. I suppose the biggest concern is cooling. If anyone
> has been doing this, I'd like to know. thanks.

Somebody is actually marketing a stand to do just that. Check the ads in
the latest MacWeek or MacWorld.  I know I saw the ad, but I regret that
I haven't been able to find it since.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (01/19/88)

In article <3401@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) writes:
> Can the macII be mounted sideways, on the floor, and used in that

I have been using my Mac II in that configuration (without a stand).  It
runs much cooler than my Mac Plus or any of the SEs.  Dirt and dust could be
problems in some environments, I suppose.  I checked with the dealer and
they said no problem.
Ron Guest
ihnp4!druhi!cosmos