[comp.sys.mac] C Comilers and the 68881

frel@randvax.UUCP (Dave Frelinger) (01/04/88)

   I was wondering if anyone in netland had an up to date listing of the
C compilers which take advantage of the 68881? I am getting a Mac II soon
and wanted to make sure I could speed up some floating point intensive
programs.

			Thanks,

			Dave Frelinger

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Darrell LeBlanc) (01/08/88)

In article <1266@randvax.UUCP> frel@rand-unix.UUCP (Dave Frelinger) writes:

>   I was wondering if anyone in netland had an up to date listing of the
>C compilers which take advantage of the 68881? I am getting a Mac II soon
>and wanted to make sure I could speed up some floating point intensive
>programs.
>

>			Thanks,
>
>			Dave Frelinger

Lightspeed C will be coming out in a new version in late February or early
March that will support the 68881 math coprocessor. It will also have a
symbolic debugger!

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies).

* Darrell LeBlanc   | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies).

* Darrell LeBlanc   | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (01/10/88)

If the version of LSC due out in Feb/Mar will support the 881, I'd guess it
will also support the 020 too, right?

Also, will it generate code depending on a setting at link time...as in...
"must have 020/881" or will it generate conditional code that will run
with different instructions at run time?

(That is, will one compiled/linked prgm work under both 000 and 020/881 systems
while working more optimally on more powerful systems - this would require
more code.... or will it be an option at link time...smaller and faster, but
would require two linked versions?)

Either way, an excuse to pick up a II!

--
Raymond Lau                       GEnie: RayLau
100-04 70 Ave.                    CIS: 76174,2617

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (01/12/88)

In article <3740@husc6.harvard.edu> singer@endor.UUCP (Darrell LeBlanc) writes:
>Lightspeed C will be coming out in a new version in late February or early
>March that will support the 68881 math coprocessor. It will also have a
>symbolic debugger!
I hope the inline assembler will support 68020 and 68881 code.

On another related subject:
I have been unable to get the 68881 manual from Field OY (the local Motorola)
since they wanted to sell me a 68881 too. They said they have no extra manuals
in stock. Is there some other book on the 68881? There would probably be a
good market for one...

Juri Munkki
Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet

phil@motsj1.UUCP (Phil Weinberg ) (01/19/88)

In article <9808@santra.UUCP> jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) writes:
>In article <3740@husc6.harvard.edu> singer@endor.UUCP (Darrell LeBlanc) writes:
>>March that will support the 68881 math coprocessor. It will also have a
>>symbolic debugger!
>I hope the inline assembler will support 68020 and 68881 code.
>
>On another related subject:
>I have been unable to get the 68881 manual from Field OY (the local Motorola)
>since they wanted to sell me a 68881 too. They said they have no extra manuals
>in stock. Is there some other book on the 68881? There would probably be a
>good market for one...

Motorola publishes "MC688811 Floating Point Coprocessor User's Manual"
under the part number MC68881UM/AD.  This can be ordered from the
Motorola Literature Distribution Center, P.O. Box 20924, Phoenix,
AZ 85036-0924 or your local Motorola Sales Office should be
able to help you get it.

--

<< Usual Disclaimer >>
Phil Weinberg @ Motorola Semiconductor, Sunnyvale, CA 94086-5395