[comp.sys.mac] Need to ftp Mac Kermit

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (12/17/87)

There is a large list of files to download via ftp from cu20b for
the Mac version of Kermit.  Which ones do I need?  It's very
confusing.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am not a big Mac
user, so don't assume very much proficiency on my part.

Thanks!

Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]

lih@cunixc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (12/18/87)

In article <4337@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:

>There is a large list of files to download via ftp from cu20b for
>the Mac version of Kermit.  Which ones do I need?  It's very
>confusing.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am not a big Mac
>user, so don't assume very much proficiency on my part.

Well, I am only a lowly consultant here, so this is not anything official
from Columbia...

The latest version I believe is MacKermit 0.9(36)B3 which I use daily
and find very stable.  Not only does it let you do long packets up to
1024 bytes long, but the keyboard configuration is built into the program
rather than in CKMkey...it also keeps track of transactions, writes logs
and has statistics on the downloads/uploads.

When you anonymously log into cu20b, get KER:xkm936.* which is specifically
in the KERMIT-2 directory, but you don't need that info.  All you need are
the files:

	KER:xkm936.hqx
	KER:xkm936.bwr
	KER:xkm936.msg

These should give you all the stuff you need to get rolling..
And of course, the hqx file is a BinHex file...

Hope this helps...

jpearce@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk.UUCP (01/15/88)

I am e-mailing with regard to your message to comp.sys.mac
about ftp-ing the latest Kermit files from cu20b.   I copied
the files ker:xkm936{.hqx.4, .mcw.1, .dsk.1, .hlp.2} the latter 2,
being ordinary text files seem to be OK, but I seem to be having
problem with the .hqx and .mcw files.   As I understood the
BinHex 4.0 format the file should begin and end with a colon.   But
the .hqx and .mcw files seem to terminate prematurely and
consequently cause and end-of-file error in BinHex 4.0.   I tried
ftp-ing again but the error still persists.

Am I doing something wrong or are the files corrupted ?

I would very much appreciate any help.   If possible could you e-
mail me the correct files.

Also I understand from the .upd file at the Stanford archives that
0.8(34) supported mouse-activated cursor positioning.   This
doesn't seem to mentioned in the documentation; could please tell
if this is correct and how it works.

Many thanks,

John Pearce.

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

K.Kirin@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (Lance Nakata) (01/17/88)

Regarding the Macintosh Kermit at Columbia:  XKM936.HQX and XKM936.MCW
are both BinHex 4.0 files.  However, the .MCW file has a mail header
at the beginning.  You should remove this before attempting to
unbinhex the file; the .HQX file does not have this problem.  I just
downloaded and successfully unbinhexed these files on 1/11/88; I don't
think they've changed since then.

In summary, it is a good idea to remove everything before the "(This
file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)" line and everything after the
last colon ":" in the file.  A binhex 4.0 file has exactly two colons
in it: one at the beginning and one at the end of the file.  That's
why the mail header causes problems.

Lance Nakata
nakata@jessica.stanford.edu

-------

mckenzie@husc2.UUCP (mckenzie) (01/19/88)

In article <39900009@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk> jpearce@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:
>BinHex 4.0 format the file should begin and end with a colon.   But
>the .hqx and .mcw files seem to terminate prematurely and
>consequently cause and end-of-file error in BinHex 4.0.   I tried
>ftp-ing again but the error still persists.
>
>Am I doing something wrong or are the files corrupted ?
>
>I would very much appreciate any help.   If possible could you e-
>mail me the correct files.

I have tried many times to get the new Kermit from cu20b, and have
experienced similar problems (i.e. truncated files). So far as I can
figure out, either cu20b or the connection between there and here is
completely brain-dead - the data rate is real, real slow.
Could some kind soul please post the new (works on MacII) Kermit to sumex?
The archive hasn't seen anything since 0.8(34).

					David McKenzie
					mckenzie@husc2.UUCP