[comp.sys.mac] Chessmaster 2000 and Mac II

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (01/11/88)

Is there any way to make the Chessmaster program run on a Mac II (I have a
radius display)?
Thanks,
Ron Guest
ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

mione@topaz.rutgers.edu (MIONE) (01/13/88)

In article <2553@druhi.ATT.COM>, cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) writes:

> Is there any way to make the Chessmaster program run on a Mac II (I have a
> radius display)?
> Thanks,
> Ron Guest
> ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

I purchased a copy Chessmaster 2000 recently. I do not own a MAC yet
but I plan on buying a MAC II within 4 to 6 mos. and the reason I
bought some software in advance is that there are plenty of MACs to
use here at work. Anyhow, I could not seem to get the thing to boot
and I was being helped by a KNOWLEDGEABLE friend. My guess is that the
copy protection crud is self-modifying and the 68020 with it's
instruction cache is losing when it tries to run it.

On my warranty card, I mentioned that it did not work on the II and I
needed it to work on that machine. I recieved a letter stating that
they have no plans of implementing a version for the MAC II and that I
should return it to the store from whom I purchased it or return it to
them with a copy of the reciept. About a week later I received another
letter from the company saying that they WERE working on a version for
the MAC II but the release date could be as much as a year in the
future. Again, they recommended I return the copy for a refund and
they apologized for the inconvenience.

It runs well on any other MAC and I am quite impressed with its
capabilities. I will probably keep the thing until they come out with
the update.

Tony::

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (01/14/88)

In article <2553@druhi.ATT.COM> cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) writes:

>Is there any way to make the Chessmaster program run on a Mac II (I have a
>radius display)?

I don't know about the Radius display, but it runs fine on my Mac II,
provided you have the new version of MacIntalk.  Otherwise it won't
talk but plays music instead.

In article <17372@topaz.rutgers.edu> mione@topaz.rutgers.edu (MIONE) writes:

>I purchased a copy Chessmaster 2000 recently. I do not own a MAC yet
>but I plan on buying a MAC II within 4 to 6 mos. and the reason I
>bought some software in advance is that there are plenty of MACs to
>use here at work. Anyhow, I could not seem to get the thing to boot
>and I was being helped by a KNOWLEDGEABLE friend. My guess is that the
>copy protection crud is self-modifying and the 68020 with it's
>instruction cache is losing when it tries to run it.

My version is the unprotected version they send you for $10 more
after you have already bought the protected version.  This one
is the one that runs on my mac II.  I haven't tried the protected
version, since I don't believe in messing with that kind of software.
The unprotected version runs fine, or at least has not bombed through
a couple of complete games.  Perhaps if I use it more, I will find
a problem.

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (01/15/88)

In article <912@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
> I don't know about the Radius display, but it runs fine on my Mac II,
> provided you have the new version of MacIntalk.  Otherwise it won't
> talk but plays music instead.
What do you have for a display.  I got several responses saying it doesn't
work...  When I try to boot it starts to initialize the screen and hangs.
Ron Guest
ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (01/20/88)

In article <2580@druhi.ATT.COM> cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) writes:
>In article <912@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>> I don't know about the Radius display, but it runs fine on my Mac II,
>> provided you have the new version of MacIntalk.  Otherwise it won't
>> talk but plays music instead.
>What do you have for a display.  I got several responses saying it doesn't
>work...  When I try to boot it starts to initialize the screen and hangs.

I am not booting from the chessmaster disk...remember, I have the
hard disk version.  I just run the program from the finder and it
works fine.  I suspect the problem lies with the copy-protection.
Just send in your $10 and get the non-copy protected version, and
run it from the finder.  (I have the Standard Apple Color Monitor.)