[comp.sys.mac] Control key on new keyboards

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (01/19/88)

In article <916@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>The control key on the new keyboards doesn't seem to send the
>proper sequences with either kermit or RR9.4.  You still have
>to use the old clover-leaf key.  Probably this is just a remapping
>problem.  Do the sources need to be recompiled, or can this
>be done more easily?

	I've been using 9.4 on an SE for about 9 months now.  The
control key works fine for everything except ^C, for that I have
to use option-C.  It's worked through a wide variety of system
files and versions.  BTW, I just tried it using both option and
cloverleaf as control keys and both worked fine.
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

lriggins@afit-ab.arpa (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/19/88)

In article <7203@apple.UUCP> dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) writes:
>	<deleted text>
>	I've been using 9.4 on an SE for about 9 months now.  The
>control key works fine for everything except ^C, for that I have
>to use option-C.  It's worked through a wide variety of system
>files and versions.  BTW, I just tried it using both option and
>cloverleaf as control keys and both worked fine.

That's funny, in the telecomm section of Works 1.0 the SE's control-key worked
for all control keys.  When they added VT100/VT52 emulation (filled with about
four pages worth of bugs) the control key works for all keys in the VT
emulation BUT NOW IN THE TTY EMULATION THE CONTROL-C DOESN'T anymore...
all the others work fine.  I wonder if these problems are related?

--

Maurice                lriggins@afit-ab.ARPA

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (01/20/88)

In article <270@afit-ab.arpa> lriggins@afit-ab.arpa (L. Maurice Riggins) writes:
>In article <7203@apple.UUCP> dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) writes:
>>	<deleted text>
>>	I've been using 9.4 on an SE for about 9 months now.  The
>>control key works fine for everything except ^C, for that I have
>>to use option-C.  It's worked through a wide variety of system
>>files and versions.  BTW, I just tried it using both option and
>>cloverleaf as control keys and both worked fine.
>

>That's funny, in the telecomm section of Works 1.0 the SE's control-key worked
>for all control keys.  When they added VT100/VT52 emulation (filled with about
>four pages worth of bugs) the control key works for all keys in the VT
>emulation BUT NOW IN THE TTY EMULATION THE CONTROL-C DOESN'T anymore...
>all the others work fine.  I wonder if these problems are related?
	Quite likely.  It's because the Enter key generates a character
code of 0x03.  Guess what.  ^C is also 0x03.  Red Ryder wants to generate
line feed (0x09) for the enter key, so it changes all character codes
of 0x03 to 0x09.  The two can be distinguished by looking in the modifiers
word to see if the control bit is on, but since the control bit didn't
exist when 9.4 was written...  VT100/VT52 emulation in Works probably
also started trying to do Enter to Linefeed mapping.