[comp.sys.mac] SCSI and Serial HD on one system.

mason@hillst.dec.com (Explaining is not understanding) (01/19/88)

I have a 512KE with 2MB of RAM, and an add-on SCSI port.  I also have a
serial HD (MacBottom - attached to the printer port) which requires booting
from floppy.  I wish to add a SCSI HD to the system, and use the serial HD
for online storage/backup only (NOT as a system disk). The way I see it, the
SCSI would boot at power-up, and if (only if) I run the 'Electric Start'
program thereafter, manually, I will be able to gain access to the serial.
Anybody out there do/done this? Anyone see any problems I might expect using
this method??

Thanks a lot...
Gary

jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) (01/20/88)

In article <8801191331.AA17584@decwrl.dec.com> mason@hillst.dec.com (Explaining is not understanding) writes:
>I have a 512KE with 2MB of RAM, and an add-on SCSI port.  I also have a
>serial HD (MacBottom - attached to the printer port) which requires booting
[...]
>Thanks a lot...
>Gary

I was thinking about doing the same thing (I also have a 512KE w/ 2MB
and a serial MacBottom).  One question though, why wouldn't you be able
to set 'ElectricStart' as the startup application on the SCSI disk?  I
don't see any reason why you would need to continue to run it from the
floppy.  It should work just as well from the other hard disk.  Would
appreciate any other info you might get or hearing your experiences when
you do it (since owing to cash flow difficulties I am not likely to go
through with the idea in the near future).  Thanx.
--
Jim Clausing  -- "Is it time for a colorful metaphor?"
CIS Department			jac@ohio-state.arpa