[comp.sys.mac] A CASE for the Macintosh

dmcintee@netxcom.UUCP (01/12/88)

	Numerous products have come on the market in recent years
in the category of Computer-Aided Software Engineering (CASE). These
are systems for building systems.

	CASE tools aid systems developers in the creation and validation
of various types of diagrams. Techniques include DeMarco/Gane and Sarson
dataflow diagrams, state-transition charts, structure charts, Chen or
Martin entity-relationship diagrams, and others. Some even allow you to
define your own symbols and modeling rules to set up your own diagramming
techniques.

	 These tools represent, for a Macintosh user, a paradox: They are
all graphics applications - with mouse, icons, windows, menu bars - and
they all run on IBM PCs.  (This is a slight exaggeration, as there are a
handful running on VAX/VMS, UNIX and IBM MVS, but the vast majority run
under MS-DOS.) What adds to the puzzlement is that these are CPU- and
memory-intensive applications; some won't boot in 640KB of memory, while
others "will run on a 286 machine, but we URGE you to consider a 386-
based platform". So why isn't the Macintosh at the fore, or moving to be,
in this market?

	If you have information or comments, please mail to me; I would
be delighted to be proven incorrect. I'll summarize any responses.
--
Dave McIntee
NetExpress Communications, Inc.	  	Phone: (703)749-2380

kge@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Kevin Ewert) (01/13/88)

I have just begun to test a demonstration version of PowerTools, a CASE
system from Iconix Software Engineering, Inc.  This package was reviewed
in the December MacWorld, and does appear to do all that it claims,
although, as I said, I haven't spent enough time with the demo version
to have exercised it thoroughly.  In addition to several of the
PowerTools applications, the demo disk comes with a HyperCard stack that
provides an interactive overview to the package.

To quote from the glossies I received from them:

     PowerTools accepts systems requirements from the user and allows
     the user to construct:

     *	Data and control flow diagrams
     *	Process specifications
     *	Data dictionary
     *	State transition diagrams, table, and matrices
     *	Structure charts
     *	Formatted pseudocode listings
     *	Program source code
     *	Consistency reports (e.g. DFD/CFD checking)

The only major drawback that I have noticed so far is that the package is
single user, that is, multiple person projects can only be done by all
project personnel using the same Mac.  The person I talked with at Iconix
claimed that a network version would be available in the spring.

If you're at all serious about using CASE tools and want to leverage the
ease of use of the Mac, I would recommend looking into PowerTools.  The
address:

	Iconix Software Engineering, Inc.
	1037 Third Street
	Suite 105
	Santa Monica, CA 90403
	(213) 458-0092

I also recall seeing an ad in the January 88 MacWorld for another CASE
package, but I can't remember any other details.

I have no connection to Iconix, other than an interest in CASE tools.

Kevin Ewert
...!hplabs!hpda!kge
(408) 447-7359

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (01/13/88)

In article <631@netxcom.UUCP> dmcintee@netxcom.UUCP (Dave McIntee) writes:

>	CASE tools aid systems developers in the creation and validation
>of various types of diagrams. Techniques include DeMarco/Gane and Sarson
>dataflow diagrams, state-transition charts, structure charts, Chen or
>Martin entity-relationship diagrams, and others. Some even allow you to
>define your own symbols and modeling rules to set up your own diagramming
>techniques.

>based platform". So why isn't the Macintosh at the fore, or moving to be,
>in this market?

Actually, I just returned from a plant trip to a large corporation with
several engineering departments.  I was kind of dissappointed as I realized
early in the visit that most of the departments are using IBM PCs if they
were using any sort of PC's at all.  What a rude introduction to the real
world :-)

But a bit later that day, a department I visited was filled with Mac SE's!
And, they were doing CASE work on the SE's...unfortunately, I forgot the
name of the package, but from looking at the printed output it looked pretty
capable.  Apparently, it was pretty difficult for them to get the SE +
Laserwriter combination since the company is primarily into IBM's, but that
department felt that the SE/LaserWriter combo works better than the IBM PC
equvalent.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-201-836-3673   Address: 671 Forest Avenue, Teaneck, NJ 07666 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/21/88)

>        CASE tools aid systems developers in the creation and validation
>of various types of diagrams. Techniques include DeMarco/Gane and Sarson
>dataflow diagrams, state-transition charts, structure charts, Chen or
>Martin entity-relationship diagrams, and others. Some even allow you to
>define your own symbols and modeling rules to set up your own diagramming
>techniques.
>
>These tools represent, for a Macintosh user, a paradox: They are
>all graphics applications - with mouse, icons, windows, menu bars - and
>they all run on IBM PCs. ...
>So why isn't the Macintosh at the fore, or moving to be,
>in this market?

There exists an entity-relationship design and query tool for the Mac:
ERVision, by Andyne Computing, Kingston, Ontario (613) 548-4355,
or djr@zorac.arpa or djr@dciem.uucp.

ERVision is one of a set of three "Active Network" interfaces with
essentially the same interface to widely different applications.
The second is ACPVision, which is a MASCOT design tool for concurrent
processes, and the third is ATNVision, for developing ATN networks.

ERVision is commercially available (I think about $150 US), ACPVision
is something like Beta test, but I don't know whether it is intended
to be commercial, and ATNVision is Alpha test and probably will not
be commercialized (unless there is a demand).

Disclaimer:  I contracted with Andyne to have these developed, and was
closely concerned with many of the design decisions, but have no
financial connection with them other than through the contract.
I would be happy to see them used (and commented on), but don't
contact me about them.  Doug Ross (djr) is the one to talk to.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt