[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Color Icons?

harrow@bagels.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (12/01/87)

So far,  the  only color icon that I've seen on the Mac II is the
one on the  default  "Welcome  to Macintosh" dialog box at system
startup time.

It's my impression that ANY icon on the desktop (or used within a
program) can also be a color icon, but has anyone come up with an
editor that will create/edit such color icons?

Thanks,

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		decwrl!exodus.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)264-5128
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: BXB1-2/E02
		85 Swanson Road
		Boxboro, MA  01719

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (12/02/87)

In article <8712012022.AA23555@decwrl.dec.com>, harrow@bagels.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
> So far,  the  only color icon that I've seen on the Mac II is the
> one on the  default  "Welcome  to Macintosh" dialog box at system
> startup time.
>
> It's my impression that ANY icon on the desktop (or used within a
> program) can also be a color icon, but has anyone come up with an
> editor that will create/edit such color icons?

I was treated to a colorful surprise when I installed the new system (4.2)
onto the Mac 2.  It offered a menu to the right of the "Special" menu
called "Color."  Selecting an icon and then selecting a color from this
menu changes that icon to the color selected.

It allows only one color per icon.  Maybe soon there'll be ways to do
all 256 colors in an icon (well, as many as there are pixels in an icon...)

--

					--chris

shap@sfsup.UUCP (12/03/87)

Its true that multifinder lets you set icon color. What I wish
it would do is arange that windows created by an application get
a unique color, assigned by numbers. In this was, it would always
be visually clear which application you were running.

Jon

steele@unc.UUCP (12/04/87)

harrow@bagels.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
>It's my impression that ANY icon on the desktop (or used within a
>program) can also be a color icon, but has anyone come up with an
>editor that will create/edit such color icons?

That's what I'd heard, but I tried adding a cicn to an app (the "cool
mac"), adding the cicn to its BNDL, and resetting the init bit and
the Finder didn't even copy the cicn to the Desktop file, so I think
whoever talked about "color icons" must have meant "colorized icons",
or 1-bit icons drawn in a color besides black (such as you specify
from the Finder "Color" menu).

Sorry; don't know of any cicn editors.

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
							steele%unc@mcnc.org

	"Life isn't fair.  It's just fairer than death, that's all."
							-- William Goldman
							  _The Princess Bride_

jtd@wdl1.UUCP (12/04/87)

We have a DEMO program which will randomly move full color ICONS accross
the desktop (not just colorized ones).  I'm not a MacGuru (yet!) so that
is all the info I have ... If people could tell me what to look for,
I'll check!!!

jtd@ford-wdl1.arpa

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (01/21/88)

The 6.0 Finder puts up a 'Color' menu that lets one set the color of any icon.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu