[comp.sys.mac] Mac II & Multi User OS

sivagnan@handel.Colostate.Edu (S. Vasanthan) (01/20/88)

 We have a collection (20) of Mac II and are looking for
a Multi-user Operating System for them. Currently we have
Apple Share running on them with limited file accessing.

 Is there a Software out there which will let the users
run the same appication at the same time and will also
share and serve files for them?

 I was told that University of Warteloo have developed some
software. Does any one know about this?

 Vasanthan
vasa@csugreen.BITNET
sivagnan@handel.Colostate.EDU

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (01/21/88)

In article <3908@sigi.Colorado.EDU> sivagnan@handel.Colostate.Edu (S. Vasanthan) writes:

> We have a collection (20) of Mac II and are looking for
>a Multi-user Operating System for them. Currently we have
> Is there a Software out there which will let the users
>run the same appication at the same time and will also
>share and serve files for them?
>
> I was told that University of Warteloo have developed some
>software. Does any one know about this?

The University of WATERLOO has developed a network system called
MacJANET (Just Another NETwork).  It is based on their PC JANET
network and borrows many of the concepts from its predecessor.
However, it has been nicely MACified and is ideally suited to
a university/student environment.  MacJANET requires a dedicated
file server.  Actually, to be completely correct, the MacJANET
network uses a DISK server instead of a file server.  From the
user's point of view there is no apparent difference.  A disk server
might not be as good a a true file server, but ultimately it works
the same.

MacJANET allows multiple users to share the exact same copy of
a program as long as it is accessed in READ ONLY mode.  Only one
user may access a network disk in WRITE mode at a time.  The
developers of MacJANET have added some useful features for managing
a network in a hostile student environment .

Paul H. Steele      USENET:   {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia
Wolfville, NS       Internet: Paul%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-2201x587

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (01/21/88)

In article <3908@sigi.Colorado.EDU> sivagnan@handel.Colostate.Edu (S. Vasanthan) writes:

> I was told that University of Warteloo have developed some [networking]
>software. Does any one know about this?
>
>vasa@csugreen.BITNET
>sivagnan@handel.Colostate.EDU

I had to quit the previous message, so here is the completion.  You can
get more info on MacJANET by contacting:

       WATCOM Products
       415 Phillip Street
       Waterloo, ONT
       CANADA  N2L 3X2
       (519) 886-3700

We currently have 16 SEs plus SE file server, 3 IW II's, LaserWriter Plus,
all on PhoneNET and are quite pleased.  The next version is supposed to be
MultiFinder Compatible.