[comp.sys.mac] New MacDraw/Project/Paint/Write

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (01/13/88)

Hi all!

Well, I guess the formal word has come through (informal channels as
well), that all the Mac* programs (except MacDraft) are being released
as significant upgrades.

Now, I hope one of you Apple people has your ears on and will respond
to this and find the answer if you don't readily know the answers.

1.  How will the upgrades for MacDraw and MacProject be handled?  We
have original disks, but I sincerely doubt that all the registration
cards got sent in or are even on record somewhere with Apple/Claris.
Will we be asked to send those in?

2.  Since there is no price increase on the MacWrite/Paint upgrades,
can we assume that if we send in original disks that we get the
upgrades free?

This brings up an interesting point.  When I first bought my Mac,
Write and Paint were included.  Later, they were not, however, the
versions that were not had no additional functionality.  Since
Write/Paint came with my machine, I consider myself a paid customer of
MacWrite/Paint, since I consider that the cost of those programs was
couched in the cost of the Mac.  I will want to be able to upgrade
without buying a new version from scratch.  As long as I can produce
my original disks, I want the upgrade path just like someone who went
out and bought it.  I use MacWrite quite a bit, and enjoy it.

Just my two cents.  Undoubtably this will start a rampage of
no flame of any kind will influence them. :^):^):^)

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (01/16/88)

In article <8648@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) writes:
> Well, I guess the formal word has come through (informal channels as
> well), that all the Mac* programs (except MacDraft) are being released
> as significant upgrades.

MacDraft is not an Apple product.

> 1.  How will the upgrades... ...be handled?

Although things may change, the traditional way is to bring your
original disks to your friendly local Apple dealer who will dutifully
update the disks for you.  So once you hear that the upgrades have shipped
(MacWrite 4.6 and MacDraw 1.9.5 are definitely here) you can gather
up your master disks and make a trip.  You might want to call your dealer
first to make sure he/she has it.
--
Robert N. Berlinger					naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Supervisor of Systems Support

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/17/88)

>> 1.  How will the upgrades... ...be handled?

>Although things may change, the traditional way is to bring your
>original disks to your friendly local Apple dealer who will dutifully

This HAS changed. These things are now owned by Claris, not Apple. I have
all the details on upgrades and pricing, and will be posting them as part of
my MacExpo report when I sort through the mountains of literature I have...

chuq

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (01/18/88)

In article <1557@aecom.YU.EDU>, naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
> > 1.  How will the upgrades... ...be handled?
>
> Although things may change, the traditional way is to bring your
> original disks to your friendly local Apple dealer who will dutifully
> update the disks for you.

After reading the latest news, it seems that upgrades to the much
improved versions of the Apple applications (MacWrite 5.0, MacPaint 2.0,
MacDraw 2.0, MacProject 2.0) will all have fees associated with them, and
you may have to mail your originals to Claris to get the upgrade.
In fact some of the upgrade prices might be quite hefty (~$100).
I assume more will be revealed this week at MESF.
--
Robert N. Berlinger					naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Supervisor of Systems Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine			Compuserve: 73047,741
UUCP: ...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,rocky2}!aecom!naftoli	GEnie:	    R.Berlinger

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (01/19/88)

I am sure there are a good number of folk out there who are interested in
updates to the old Apple versions of Macwrite, MacPaint, MacDraw and
MacProject.  So, at the risk of being too "commercial," I have taken some info
from a Claris announcement on AppleLink and I'm including some of the most
important information from it.  I think it should answer most of the basic
questions regarding updating to the new versions of these programs as offered
by Claris.

=======================================

Claris Questions and Answers

USER INFO
Q.  Where can I see Claris products?
A.  See your authorized Claris dealer.  For the name of the Claris dealer
    nearest you please call 800-334-3535.

Q.  I own an earlier version of MacDraw/MacPaint/MacWrite/
    MacProject/AppleWorks. Can I get technical support from Claris?
A.  Yes.  You will need to provide your name and address over the telephone to
    begin receiving support.  The Technical Support # is 415-962-0371.
    Technical Support hours are:  Monday - Thursday: 6:00am - 8:00pm; Friday:
    6:00am - 3:00pm and 5:30pm - 8:00pm.  All hours are Pacific Standard Time.

Q.  I need a replacement disk for MacDraw/MacPaint/MacWrite/
    MacProject/AppleWorks products.  Who do I call?
A.  Until February 1, 1988 contact your Apple dealer and use the Apple Media
    Exchange Program.  After February 1, contact Claris Customer Relations at
    415-962-8946.

PRODUCT INFO
Q.  What products does Claris sell and what do they cost?
A.  Product                         Version     Upgrade     New
    AppleWorks 2.0                   2.0         $75        $249
    MacDraw II *                     1.0         $100       $395
    MacPaint 2.0                     2.0         $25        $125
    MacProject II                    1.0         $145       $495
    MacWrite 5.0                     5.0         $25        $125
    SmartForm Designer *             1.0          N/A       $395
    SmartForm Manager *              1.0          N/A       $149

          * Available in the spring of 1988.

Q.  How do I get an upgrade to my product?
A.  You need to complete and return an upgrade order form.  To obtain an
    upgrade form call 800-544-8554.

   In Canada, call 800-668-8948 for an upgrade form and information.

So there you have it.  I hope this helps answer some questions.

Jim      (I have no connection with Claris and only supply this info to help
          users of this system.)

-->     USENET     macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (01/19/88)

in article <1561@aecom.YU.EDU>, naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) says:

> In article <1557@aecom.YU.EDU>, naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
>
> After reading the latest news, it seems that upgrades to the much
> improved versions of the Apple applications (MacWrite 5.0, MacPaint 2.0,
> MacDraw 2.0, MacProject 2.0) will all have fees associated with them, and
> you may have to mail your originals to Claris to get the upgrade.
> In fact some of the upgrade prices might be quite hefty (~$100).
> I assume more will be revealed this week at MESF.

The thing that worries me about all this is having to mail in my original
disks.  I've got a 4 year old Mac; find my original MacWrite disk?  Who are
you trying to kid?  It probably was recycled ages ago, after I got an upgrade
at one point.  If I didn't recycle disks, they'd have eaten me out of house
and home years ago...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) (01/20/88)

In article <385@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:

>Claris Questions and Answers
>Q.  What products does Claris sell and what do they cost?
>A.  Product                         Version     Upgrade     New
>    MacPaint 2.0                     2.0         $25        $125
>    MacWrite 5.0                     5.0         $25        $125

Well this is the first I have heard about these versions of MacPaint
and MacWrite.  Does anyone out there have them ?  What is the difference/
change from MacPaint 1.5/MacWrite 4.6 ?

Or has Claris, just changed the version numbers ?

Is it worth it to upgrade ?

Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu
             |     UUCP: {ames,cmcl2,decvax,rutgers}!rochester!ur-tut!akk2

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (01/20/88)

From article <843@ur-tut.UUCP>, by akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker):
[ quotes another article about MacWrite 5.0, MacPaint 2.0 and prices ]
> Well this is the first I have heard about these versions of MacPaint
> and MacWrite.  Does anyone out there have them ?  What is the difference/
> change from MacPaint 1.5/MacWrite 4.6 ?
>
> Or has Claris, just changed the version numbers ?

From the Claris flyers:
- MacWrite 5.0
	o spell checker with > 100k word dictionary
	o you can create your own custom dictionaries
	o arrow keys supported
	o decimal tabs (?? don't remember if it's already there)
	o (more?) keyboard equivalents for functions
	o supports big screens
	o MultiFinder compatible
	o runs on II, SE, Plus, 512KE
- MacPaint 2.0
	o tear off menus (i.e., you can move the tool pallette and pattern
	  menu around)
	o auto scrolling
	o up to 9 documents open simultaneously
	o snapshot and "magic eraser" that restores any part of the
	  picture as it appeared in the last snapshot (I think)
	o supports big screens
	o MultiFinder compatible
	o runs on II, SE, Plus, 512KE, needs 2 disk drives

> Is it worth it to upgrade ?
$25 each to upgrade.  You decide.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (01/22/88)

In article <20381@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
>From article <843@ur-tut.UUCP>, by akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker):
>From the Claris flyers:
>- MacWrite 5.0
>- MacPaint 2.0

Claris has released demo versions of these 2 plus MacProject.  They were
available on Compuserve, so maybe some kind soul (sorry, not me) might
send them to comp.binaries.mac.

Also, I called the upgrade number and ordered my upgrade kit (from which
you can order your upgrades).  According to the person I talked to, the
first batch will be going out Jan 26.

>Mike Khaw

Jerry Whitnell				Lizzi Borden took an axe
Communication Solutions, Inc.		And plunged it deep into the VAX;
					Don't you envy people who
					Do all the things You want to do?