[comp.sys.mac] Problems with RamDisk+

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (01/18/88)

  I'm trying to set up RamDisk+ (vsn. 1.2) on my 1Mb Mac+ with
older (but not ancient) System 3.2 and Finder 5.3. I always use
RAMStart with no problems at all, but I've been checking out
RamDisk a few times because of its ability to preserve folder
structure, or so the help dialogs seem to be implying (useful
with Suitcase - I'd like many separate font/DA files to be loaded
at start-up, not just the *files* FONTs and DAs as in RAMStart).
Whenever I configure RamDisk+ to *take control* after ejecting
the boot disk (which is the most natural way for me) I'm getting
a bomb, ID=03 (most of the time) and ID=02 (occasionally). I've
tried to change several things, none worked and I ran out of
patience - a program that has to be *forced* to do what the user
wants does not belong in the Mac world, in my opinion. But still,
for reasons mentioned above, I'd like to get some advice.
  Thanks in advance,              Eric

UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) (01/19/88)

I spoke with RamDisk+'s author, Roger Bates, over the phone a few weeks
ago. I was having problems getting RamDisk+ v1.4 to completely
auto-boot. He said that he hadnt intended to give v1.4 a full release as
of yet, and that he has a newer version coming out (1.5). Now this may
not be related to the problems described by Erazm J. Behr here, but it
might be duly noted by those on the net that v1.4 may not be a
full-working version.

Anyone notice similar problems with RamDisk+ 1.4?
-------
ERIC H. ROMO
<UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET>
CHEMISTRY DEPT. UNIV. OF NORTH DAKOTA
GRAND FORKS, N.D.

dcw@ecsvax.UUCP (Douglas C. Wilson) (01/20/88)

In article <10512@shemp.UCLA.EDU> khayo@MATH.ucla.edu (E. Behr)) writes:

>  I'm trying to set up RamDisk+ (vsn. 1.2) on my 1Mb Mac+ with
>older (but not ancient) System 3.2 and Finder 5.3. ....
>Whenever I configure RamDisk+ to *take control* after ejecting ...
>[I get] a bomb, ID=03 (most of the time) and ID=02 (occasionally).
>          >>>>--------------->         khayo@MATH.ucla.edu

All versions of RamDisk+ I have tried (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4) do this
when run with Suitecase.  I am holding onto my shareware fee until I
see a copy of RamDisk+ that runs with Suitecase (or Suitecase starts
running with RamDisk+.  I guess I'll just have to run without a ramdisk
for the interim.

arj@homxc.UUCP (A.JOHNSTON) (01/20/88)

Several postings have discussed problems with RamDisk+ 1.4 bombing
when you configure it to be the startup disk upon exit.  I was having
similar problems and I think that the answer is in the exit menu
dialog box.  One of the options is to set the application to be run
on exit and the default is "Startup".  I just deleted that name and
left the box blank.  Now the program seems to run.

chips@tekchips.TEK.COM (Chip Schnarel) (01/22/88)

In article <10512@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) writes:

>   I'm trying to set up RamDisk+ (vsn. 1.2) on my 1Mb Mac+ with
> older (but not ancient) System 3.2 and Finder 5.3. I always use
>   Thanks in advance,              Eric
>           >>>>--------------->         khayo@MATH.ucla.edu

    The new release of RamDisk+ (version 2.0) is now ready.  I will try
    to upload it this evening.  The new version includes better support for
    MultiFinder and supports advanced features such as exception lists.
    I have never had a problem with the chain launch function and I have
    used RamDisk+ on Mac 512K, 512Ke, Plus, SE, and Mac II.  If you are
    still having problems with the new version, I'm sure that the author,
    Roger Bates would like to know about it.  You might mail me your
    configuration, but try the new version first.

    Assuming I don't screw up the upload, you should all see the new version
    soon.

    Chip Schnarel
    Tektronix
    chips@crl.tek.com