[comp.sys.mac] Hard Disk Password

mireley@eecae.UUCP (John Mireley) (01/06/88)

Is there a software package available that would provide password security
for hard disk files on a mac se.

John Mireley
Department of Chemistry
Michigan State University

markn@ll1a.UUCP (Mark Nettleingham) (01/07/88)

I use a program called "Hard Disk" Partition I can't remember who
makes it right now. However, it lets you partition your drive into
several smaller "virtual" disks and gives you the option to password
them. I have been using this with the newest System and Finder for
several months now and haven't had any problems.

I ordered this to protect myself from my 4 and 5 year olds. They
seemed to like the bulging trash can icon and would throw things away
just to see it. I put their programs and the system on the root partition
the standard applications on one partition, and the stuff I was worried
about on a third partition. Then I passworded the development partition.
Worked great! Except for the time my 5 year old passworded the application
partition, sigh...

Mark Nettleingham
ihnp4!ll1a!markn

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (01/14/88)

In article <1101@ll1a.UUCP> markn@ll1a.UUCP (Mark Nettleingham) writes:
>I use a program called "Hard Disk" Partition I can't remember who
>makes it right now.

Hard Disk Partition comes from FWB Software, somewhere out there in
California.  The version I saw about a year ago was not impressive.
Judging from Mark's review, it's been improved a lot.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (01/15/88)

In article <14794@think.UUCP> ephraim@godot.think.com.UUCP (ephraim vishniac) writes:
>In article <1101@ll1a.UUCP> markn@ll1a.UUCP (Mark Nettleingham) writes:
>>I use a program called "Hard Disk" Partition I can't remember who
>>makes it right now.
>
>Hard Disk Partition comes from FWB Software, somewhere out there in
>California.  The version I saw about a year ago was not impressive.
>Judging from Mark's review, it's been improved a lot.

Well, I bought Hard Disk Partition this past summer, and now I no longer use
it.  Why?  Well, it didn't behave exactly as I thought it would, and on top
of that, I found it to be somewhat unstable.  For example, you can create
partitions which automount on boot, and for this to happen you have to have
a INIT in your system folder.

It turns out that this INIT breaks pretty easily.  When I first got HD
Partition, this init worked, but at one time I reinitialized and restored my
Dataframe 20 and bingo, the Mac locked up on booting.  Calls to FWB Software
lead to them saying that it wasn't their problem, but one with SuperMac's
hard disk drivers.  SuperMac said that their drivers works fine, so after
all the dust settled, the problem remained unresolved.  Its my opinion at
this point, that the fault lies with the HD Partition's Automount INIT.

I guess if you want partitions to work correctly, you'll have to convince
the people who wrote your HD's SCSI driver to support that feature on the
SCSI driver level.  Alot of things can break if try to partition above that
level.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-201-836-3673   Address: 671 Forest Avenue, Teaneck, NJ 07666 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

dak@uoregon.UUCP (01/17/88)

LaCie's Cirrus drives come with software (both an application and a DA)
that allows partitioning (including partitioning multiple physical drives
into single logical drives, and vice-versa), automatic mounting, password
protection (for modification and/or access)...and it seems to be very
robust.

Incidentally, as reported here and elsewhere, LaCie is indeed fulfilling
their previously incurred warrantee obligations (from Kammerman), and is
still alive and well and making good, inexpensive hard drives.

Usual disclaimers (just a satisfied customer, and all that).

Dave Keldsen
dak@drizzle.uoregon.edu      (if you knew what the weather was like here,
                              or how slow this poor old machine is, you
                              wouldn't ask why it is called 'drizzle'...
                              drizzle has siblings 'fog' and 'mist'...)

milt@mist.cs.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (01/22/88)

In article <1101@ll1a.UUCP> markn@ll1a.UUCP (Mark Nettleingham) writes:
>I use a program called "Hard Disk" Partition I can't remember who
>makes it right now. However, it lets you partition your drive into
>several smaller "virtual" disks and gives you the option to password
>them. I have been using this with the newest System and Finder for
[deletions]
>Worked great! Except for the time my 5 year old passworded the application
>partition, sigh...
>
>Mark Nettleingham
>ihnp4!ll1a!markn

I also use this utility on my Jasmine DD80, and I have been quite satisfied
with it.  However, don't fool yourself into believing that the passworded
protecting is effective.

One day I was unable to mount such a partition after issuing the password and
as such, I thought perhaps I had forgotten what the password was.  In my effort
to break in a found out the following:  When prompted for the password type in
21 (or maybe it was 22) spaces and hit return.  The partition will mount.  If
you type in 22 (23) spaces the computer will bomb.

I still enjoy the "convenience" of partitions, but after the above incident I
realized there was no point to passwording any of them.  I suppose it is
unlikely that your 5 year old will find this trick out (unless of course
he (she) reads this note), but let the Protectionist be forewarned.

Milt Sagen
Department of Physics
Oregon State U.
Corvallis, Or