[comp.sys.mac] wanted: accented capital vowels

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (01/06/88)

a friend is entering a portuguese text-document and needs to figure out
if/how it is possible to enter capital Vowels with an accent, other than
A with grave accent and E with acute accent.  hints, anyone ??
--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu		(prefered address)
kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu

silber@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Silber) (01/06/88)

In article <434@ut-emx.UUCP> kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>a friend is entering a portuguese text-document and needs to figure out
>if/how it is possible to enter capital Vowels with an accent, other than
>A with grave accent and E with acute accent.  hints, anyone ??

I believe if you enter option-E, then type your vowel (capital or not),
you will get the acute accent.  For the grave accent, option-accent grave, then
type your vowel.  It works in MS-Word and Macwrite.

--
"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."
                                                          --Sen. Everett Dirksen

derek@mind.UUCP (Derek Gross) (01/07/88)

In article <3290@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> silber@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Silber) writes:
>In article <434@ut-emx.UUCP> kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>>a friend is entering a portuguese text-document and needs to figure out
>>if/how it is possible to enter capital Vowels with an accent, other than
>>A with grave accent and E with acute accent.  hints, anyone ??
>I believe if you enter option-E, then type your vowel (capital or not),
>you will get the acute accent.  For the grave accent, option-accent grave, then
>type your vowel.  It works in MS-Word and Macwrite.

as I recall, the standard ImageWriter fonts (New York, Geneva, etc.) do not
include capital versions of all the accented vowels but the screen versions
of the standard LaserWriter fonts (Times, Helvetica, etc.) do; I believe
they are shift-option keys, not option keys followed by capitals.
I'm not sure, though... check it out in key caps.

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (01/07/88)

In article <3290@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, silber@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Silber) writes:
> In article <434@ut-emx.UUCP> kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> >
> >a friend is entering a portuguese text-document and needs to figure out
> >if/how it is possible to enter capital Vowels with an accent, other than
> >A with grave accent and E with acute accent.  hints, anyone ??

> I believe if you enter option-E, then type your vowel (capital or not),
    ^^^^^^^
	I guess, believing isn't going to make it so ...

> you will get the acute accent.  For the grave accent, option-accent grave,
> then type your vowel.  It works in MS-Word and Macwrite.

	I have, of course, tried this with several different fonts, in
	several different text-processors, and with the DA KeyCaps ....
	as I stated, it only works with the capital letter A and grave
	and capital E and acute .... it does work with all lower-case
	vowels....

	I'm not posting this to pick on Jeff (whose helpful participation
	I appreciate), but rather to keep the question open ...

--

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (01/07/88)

In article <434@ut-emx.UUCP>, kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> [Is it] possible to enter capital Vowels with an accent, other than
> A with grave accent and E with acute accent.  hints, anyone ??

     The LaserWriter fonts have the capital vowels with accents available as
option-shift characters.  Consult the KeyCaps DA to figure them out.

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	...!uunet!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

  _Not Work_				  _soon to be work_
P.O. Box 5899				National Instruments
Austin, TX 78763-5899			Austin, Texas
(512) 346-0835

jhagen@midas.UUCP (Jarom Hagen) (01/08/88)

In article <434@ut-emx.UUCP>, kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

> a friend is entering a portuguese text-document and needs to figure out
> if/how it is possible to enter capital Vowels with an accent, other than
> A with grave accent and E with acute accent.  hints, anyone ??
> --

I would like to know this info too.  I always assumed that there wasn't room
for accent marks on top of capital letters.

--
Jarom Hagen		UUCP: {calma, novavax, sun, seismo}!gould!jhagen

If anything expressed resembles an actual opinion of Gould, living or dead,
it was purely coincidental.

hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/08/88)

Sitting with my handy font charts in front of me, I find the following "special"
capital letters in the Chicago (bit-mapped) and Helvetica (LaserWriter) Fonts.

number Chicago Helvetica description
128       x        x     A with umlaut
129       x        x     A with small circle
130       x        x     C with "tail"
131       x        x     E with acute accent
132       x        x     N with tilde
133       x        x     O with umlaut
134       x        x     U with umlaut
174       x        x     AE
175       x        x     O with slash through it
203       x        x     A with grave accent
204       x        x     A with tilde
205       x        x     O with tilde
206       x        x     OE
217                x     Y with umlaut
229                x     A with caret
230                x     E with caret
231                x     A with acute accent
232                x     E with umlaut
233                x     E with grave accent
234                x     I with acute accent
235                x     I with caret
236                x     I with umlaut
237                x     I with grave accent
238                x     O with acute accent
239                x     O with caret
241                x     O with grave accent
242                x     U with acute accent
243                x     U with caret
244                x     U with grave accent

I don't know what dead key sequences are necessary to generate these characters,but in Word 3.0 you can enter command-option-Q followed by number followed by
return to enter an arbitrary character by number.

If the combination you need isn't listed above, the LaserWriter fonts also have
all the various accents as separate characters (96,171,172, and 246-255) so you
can build what you want using Word's overstriking capabilities.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Kurt W. Hirchert     National Center for Supercomputing Applications

jhenry@randvax.UUCP (Jim Henry) (01/09/88)

From Inside Macintosh, I-247, the following accented capitals are in the
Macintosh character set:

	80  A dieresis
	81  A ring
	82  C cedilla
	83  E acute
	84  N tilde
	85  O dieresis
	86  U dieresis
	CB  A grave
	CC  A tilde
	CD  O tilde

The LaserWriter can produce all of these but on the ImageWriter there are
legal characters that are missing from various fonts.

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (01/22/88)

In article <829@midas.UUCP> jhagen@midas.UUCP (Jarom Hagen) writes:>
>I would like to know this info too.  I always assumed that there wasn't room
>for accent marks on top of capital letters.

  My Mac is down, so this is going to be a little disjointed...

  Canadians also accent capital vowels (when writing in French), so
I had the doubtfull pleasure of rewriting a Poisonous-Computer BIOS
to support optional diacritics.
  The technique was to
	1) select characters from the displayable set(s) to be
    replaced by accented letters,
	2) change those character's bitmaps, for both screens and a
    suite of printers,
	3) change the key decoder to return the (pseudo-ascii) when a
    selected sequence of accent-key character-key presses were detected,
	4) change the startup to enable/disable the above based on a
    configuration variable (aka an INIT),
	5) debug the *@^!%$@@ BIOS code so all of the above worked
    for two classes of programs: those which read scan codes and
    those which read (psuedo-ascii) letters.

  This is both easier and harder on a Mac: easier, since one can
replace code easier than by kludgo-patching, harder because I don't
know where to put the accented characters in the keymap. And because
I have to resedit all the fonts!
--dave
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor yetti utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its