[comp.sys.mac] MacTutor

john@csvaxa.UUCP (John Holley) (12/08/87)

>>Is it true that MacTutor is printed/shipped in/from Amsterdam?
>Yow!  Someone has been feeding you a line.  Granted, it does not SAY
>anywhere where MacTutor is printed, but I would be extremely
>surprised if they went half the way around the globe to
>get their magazine printed.

I just received the November issue of MacTutor on Friday, and it has an
Amsterdam postmark!

Maybe it's cheaper for them to ship the magazine in bulk to Europe and then
to distribute it to the rest of the world rather than mail it direct from
the USA.

I have noticed that MENU (mail order company) in the US also sends software
to us (in New Zealand) through Holland.

John A. Holley		 |     ...!uunet!vuwcomp!csvaxa!john : UUCP
Computer Science Dept	 |     J.Holley@massey.ac.nz         : Internet
Massey University  	 |     J.Holley%massey@vuwcomp.nz    : ACSnet
Palmerston North         |     J.Holley@nz.ac.massey         : Janet
New Zealand              |     Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!

jbm652@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/13/87)

Apparently, it is cheaper to send packages airmail to Amsterdam and then have
them sent by surface mail to their final destination than to have them sent
all the way to their final destination by airmail.

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (12/30/87)

In article <153@csvaxa.UUCP> john@csvaxa.UUCP (John Holley) writes:
>>     ...  I would be extremely
>>surprised if they went half the way around the globe to
>>get [MacTutor] printed.
>
>I just received the November issue of MacTutor on Friday, and it has an
>Amsterdam postmark!

It does not surprise me.  A few years ago, I was managing editor of
a "learned journal" that was edited in Canada, Published in
Switzerland, Typeset in Israel, and Printed in Northern Ireland.

The publisher went after getting the things done whereever they could
find the expertise at the right price.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

white@ti-csl.CSNET (Robert White) (01/23/88)

I am looking for the ISSN for MacTutor Magazine or an Address/Phone #.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Robert