[comp.sys.mac] Apple -> Serial Printers

garnett@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (01/15/88)

	I've been having problems getting apple computers to print succesfully
on serial printers. I know the cables are correct.
	Two examples:
	1) Apple II+ -> typewriter w/serial interface, settable to 110 & 300
	    baud.
	2) Mac+ -> Okidata 82A, tried various baud rates, selections(typewriter
	   appledaisy,etc.)
In both cases, The printers work, they are capabile of printing one line fine,
(they both work on other computers) and their buffers are NOT getting full.
BUT: when I try to print a page, I start losing characters, often the first
character in the line, or more.
	Q: Does Apple do something weird to their serial output? Is their
timing differnt than the rest of the world?
	Has anybody experienced these problems, and/or found a solution, other
than using 'APPLE' printers? Is there a driver for the OKI for the Mac?
Answers to these and other profound comments may be posted, or mailed to me.
thanx
Roger Garnett           (garnett@batcomputer)
Cornell Phonetics Lab   (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
Ithaca  N.Y.            (bitnet: sggy@cornellC)

   okbye

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/24/88)

In article <3382@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garnett@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) writes:

>	I've been having problems getting apple computers to print succesfully
>on serial printers. I know the cables are correct.

Are you *sure*? :-)

>In both cases, The printers work, they are capabile of printing one line fine,
>(they both work on other computers) and their buffers are NOT getting full.
>BUT: when I try to print a page, I start losing characters, often the first
>character in the line, or more.

Sounds to me like you're having DTR and/or XON/XOFF problems.  You say the
buffer isn' full, you you also state that it happens when you try and print
a page.  Am I to assume the problems happen when the second line is
printed?  Remember, it takes a lot of time to move the print head around,
and some printers are notorious for lossing info when a CR is being
executed.  This happens with older printers, I know.  Sometimes they hold
DTR high (or is it low? I think low) while they execute it, so that you
don't send info to it then.  Or, they send and XOFF to stop sending.  In
anycase, Have you set the switched on the printer to every conceivable
setting?  Sometimes this works.

> Is there a driver for the OKI for the Mac?

In MicroSoft Word, there is a dumb serial driver.  I also happen to have a
small Rascal program (anyone who knows what *that* is gets a cookie!) that
you might like, though it's rather crude.  I might be able to get the source
for it as well. . .

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET

earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) (01/25/88)

In article <8118@reed.UUCP>, kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
> In article <3382@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garnett@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) writes:
> >
> >	I've been having problems getting apple computers to print succesfully
> >on serial printers.
> > Is there a driver for the OKI for the Mac?
>
> In MicroSoft Word, there is a dumb serial driver.  I also happen to have a
> small Rascal program (anyone who knows what *that* is gets a cookie!) that
> you might like, though it's rather crude.  I might be able to get the source
> for it as well. . .

The source code for Daisy, a user-configurable, Chooser-compatible, drop-in
ImageWriter Driver replacement which does text only, is available from
MacTutor Magazine on both the November and December source disks.  The
corresponding article is contained in the November and December issues of
the magazine.  Although I sold them the article and the source code, I get
no further royalties or benefits from their sales of source disks or issues.

MacTutor is located at P.O. box 400, Placentia, CA 92670.  Their phone is
at (714) 630-3730.  Source disks are $8.00, and back issues are $4.00 each.
Daisy is written entirely in LightSpeedC, and the resource code is in RMaker
format.

Best results are usually obtained when making a printer cable if you can set
up the printer to use Xon/Xoff handshaking, although Daisy and the Mac support
hardware handshaking, too.  The most common mistake when making a printer
cable is to get the send and receive lines mixed up.  These are pins 2 and 3 on
a standard DB25 RS-232 connector.  If you have fabricated a cable which you
think should work, and it doesn't, you may have these two lines mixed up.
I recommend a three-wire cable, which has ground, send, and receive lines
hooked up.  I don't recommend trying to use hardware handshaking unless
it is the only kind which your printer supports.

Daisy probably works for the OKI, although you didn't say what model your
OKI was.

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *