[comp.sys.mac] JClock vs. MenuClock

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (01/22/88)

I had used JClock for over a year and had never had anyproblems with it, until
MultiFinder came out and JClock would write over MF's small icon.

Now I use Menu clock which just displays the hour and minutes(as opposed to
JClock's Hour minute and seconds), but I am not satisfied.

With JClock, you knew the time no matter what you were doing.  With MenuClock
the clock stops during certain operations such as mousedown and downloads.  I
don't mean that it would lose time, but that it would remain unchanged till
said operations ended and then would display the correct time again.

With JClock, when that happened, it was safe to assume that the system had
crashed, but with menuclock, you never know.

Anybody know of a MF compatible JClock?  Thank you.

P.S.  Also, you could get rid of JClock if you clicked on it, but you can't
with MenuClock.
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1271

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (01/25/88)

In article <1515@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
>I had used JClock for over a year and had never had anyproblems with it, until
>MultiFinder came out and JClock would write over MF's small icon.
>
>Now I use Menu clock which just displays the hour and minutes(as opposed to
>JClock's Hour minute and seconds), but I am not satisfied.
>
>With JClock, you knew the time no matter what you were doing.  With MenuClock
>the clock stops during certain operations such as mousedown and downloads.  I
>don't mean that it would lose time, but that it would remain unchanged till
>said operations ended and then would display the correct time again.

As an aside, don't use JClock anymore, regardless of it's merits.  It seems to
steal too much time from the system, which is especially bad if you're running
MultiFinder.  As an example, hierarchical menus were taking about 2-3 seconds
to display with JClock running.  After removing it (and installing MenuClock101
in its place), things run fine again.

I only wish MenuClock had an option that made it somewhat more belligerent --
I wouldn't mind it writing over the rightmost menu in those applications that
insist on displaying more menus than they really need (RSG, for example).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."